Chapter Thirty Five: A Threat to My Heart

Luke POV:

I sat in my office, rubbing my temples thoroughly as I stared at the map of my territory. The attacks that had been happening in the past few months had all been staged near where Mackenzie lived. However, if I stationed warriors near the border there, then it was likely that the rogues and witches would only move to other areas and attack from there.

"I say we just gather a group of fighters and go scout a radius of ten miles from the territory, and kill any rogue or witch scum we see!" Walker chuckled, his hands clenched into fists.

"While I like the idea of being on the offensive," my beta, James Klinger, said in a calm voice, "We still are in the dark about the true power or number of witches and rogues. For all we know they have a huge power force. Sending warriors out without any knowledge is almost guaranteed to be a suicide mission."

"Good point, James," I nodded, sighing as I ran a hand through my hair.

"Then send the Luna with the warriors," Walker spoke in a gruff voice. "Surely she can do some Witchy voodoo shit and at least get an idea of what we're up against."

"Again, suicide mission," James said bluntly.

"And I'm not sending my mate out unprotected." I snapped. I flinched when the words came out and swallowed, looking at Walker. "I'm sorry Walker... I know you miss Renee..."

"Don't you dare mention her," Walker growled, trembling as his eyes glowed orange, his wolf trying to take over.

"Let's focus on the problem okay guys?" James sighed. "Luke, maybe Talzia can do a spell from the safety of the pack house. Either a protection spell or some kind of spell that would give us some information about the power or number of rogues and witches."

"Of course I can," I heard the sweetest voice say gently. I looked up to see Talzia standing in the door way.

"I thought I told you to stop eavesdropping on meetings, Talzia." I growled at her.

"But I want to help!" She protested.

"I don't want to risk you, Talzia." I snapped.

"It wouldn't be risking me if we did it from here." She argued.

"What if the other witches or rogues can sense your presence? What if it gives them a wormhole into the pack? What then?" I growled. "Just go back to helping Ariel with whatever she was making for the warriors." Talzia's big brown eyes suddenly teared up as she bit her lip, and I immediately felt regret fill my chest.

"Talzia... Wait," I sighed.

"Leave me alone you asshole!" She yelled, a gust of lightning sending me back against the wall. She ran from the room crying, making me feel guilty inside.

"I'll be back, men." I whispered.

* * * *

I found Talzia in our room, curled up on the bed, crying. I sighed and made my way over to her, kneeling down in front of her.

"I'm sorry baby," I whispered as I ran a hand across her soft cocoa colored cheek. "I'm just so anxious about all these attacks lately. I don't mean to be hurtful towards you, I just can't imagine losing you." She began laughing softly and I furrowed my brows, confusion swallowing me.

"How quaint!" A low voice came from her now, and her body dissolved in dust, only to reveal a small, goblin looking creature.

"You're such a romantic!" He cackled. "No wonder she fell for you!"

"Who are you? What have you done with my mate?!" I demanded, trying to grab his throat. By the time my hands would have grasped his neck, he was behind me. He muttered some kind of gibberish, and I roared in pain as I felt my right leg snap in half.

"If you want your beloved mate back, ye best hand over Mackenzie Jahnson and her children." The goblin smirked. "When you've made a decision just say 'Grablin Gornig' and you will either have Talzia returned to you, or watch her burn at the stake."

"You sick bastard!" I yelled.

"Oh, and did I mention, if you don't chose within Forty eight hours, Talzia will burn at the stake, and we will still take Mackenzie Jahnson from you." The goblin cheered before he disappeared.