Chapter Twenty Seven: Funeral

Kenzi POV:

I couldn't believe the news. My mind was swirling faster and faster as I dropped the phone that was in my hand. Tears began to fall down my face one at a time, drip drop...drip drop... Like rain on a window sill. The words reverberated in my skull as I sank to my knees in the kitchen, shaking violently as my heart split wide open. The front door opened, but I made no move to see who had entered as I began to scream. Footsteps sounded out, and soon, Grant was kneeling beside me, his arms around my shoulders.

"Kenzi, baby what's wrong?" Grant asked in concern.

"T-the rogues...they attacked again..." I choked out. I began to sob again as I heard the words echo in my mind once more. "Renee...she...she's dead!" Grant's face became pale as he held me against his torso, his jaw becoming slack.

"What?" He whispered in a hoarse voice. I gripped my chest tightly as I screamed, tears pouring down my face like rapid rivers of hot salty pain, and I wailed into Grant.

"Why?!" I screamed. "Why didn't she mind link me?! I could have helped! I could have saved her!"

"Baby, don't blame yourself, it was the rogues." Grant try to console me, but I wouldn't have it.

"It's my fault! Everything bad that happens to the pack is because I'm still alive!" I yelled at him. Grant grabbed my face, pulling it to his as his lips locked on mine.

"Baby it's not your fault." Grant whispered gently to me as he stroked my hair. I fell quiet in his arms, only whimpering now.

"Walker...oh god...does he know?" I suddenly panicked. "Is he safe?! Is he alive!"

"Kenzi baby calm down!" Grant pleaded, placing a hand on my stomach. "All this stress will hurt the baby." I had completely forgotten the fact that I was pregnant- I didn't have the constant baby bump to remind me yet. I was too agonized over the loss of my best friend.

"I didn't get to say goodbye..." I whimpered.

~Two days later~

I whimpered as I brushed a tear away from my face, finishing pulling my black, formal dress up my body.

"Will you zip it?" I asked Grant, who stood near the bed, tying his navy blue tie. He nodded and zipped up the dress before wrapping his arms around my waist and pressing soft, fleeting kisses along my throat.

"It's gonna be alright, love. You'll see." He murmured to me. He looked back at the clock near the bed before sighing. "It's time to go baby, the funeral is gonna start soon."

"I...I can't Grant..." I panicked as tears flooded my eyes.

"Baby you have to, pack law. And you'd never forgive yourself if you didn't go to Renee'a funeral." Grant mused sadly. "I'll be right beside you the whole time, baby."

"Swear?" I whimpered, tears falling down my face. Grant nodded and laced my hand in his, leading me to his car.

The drive to the cemetery was short, only taking about three minutes. Grant helped me out of the car, placing a swift, deep, loving kiss to my lips. He led me over to the stone table in the middle of the cemetery, and I threw a hand over my mouth when I saw Renee's body lying, cold and pale white, on the funeral bed. Walker stood beside the table, sobbing wretchedly, his friends trying to comfort him, but he was beyond comforting. The love of his life lay dead as the yellow grass beneath our feet.

"Renee!" He wailed. "Why did you have to leave me?!" Everyone in the crowd was shaking, most of them crying at the anguish of seeing a fellow pack mate dead, and another left mate less. The pack priest came out, placing a hand on Walker's back.

"Let us all be silent as the Moon Goddess takes the fallen wolf to her side, where she may run in the forests of the heavens forever, along side our ancestors." The priest hummed loudly, but gently. Walker suddenly screamed as he gripped the edge of the stone table, his face red from crying so much, his body shaking so much that even from where we stood, a good twenty yards away, we could see it. The priest began the ancient prayers of the dead, and Walker suddenly shifted into his huge black wolf, jumping onto the stone table and laying down next to Renee, howling in despair. The howl ripped through the soul of every member of the pack, young and old. It was the plea for death, for mercy, the howl of a wolf longing to run free with his mate forever.