Chapter Twenty Nine: Twins

Kenzi POV:

I sat across from Luna Ariel at the pack's coffee shop, one of the café's appetizing, huge, icing-slathered cinnamon rolls sitting on a small white plate that was much too small for it in front of me. I lifted a bite of the pastry to my mouth and took a bite, not minding the icing that covered my fingers.

"How far along are you?" Ariel asked, her eyes seeming to smile along with her lips as she took a sip of her coffee.

"About a month and a half," I answered, covering my mouth with my hand as I spoke with my mouth full.

"So that leaves about four weeks left, right?" Ariel squealed. "Your baby is going to be so cute. You and Grant are the perfect match!"

"Well that's why we're mates," I laughed after I swallowed my bite. A sinking feeling took hold of many joy, seeming to be dragged down inside of me with a steel anchor as I looked at Ariel.

"I know I'm not in any place to know this information...but do we have any idea of when or how the rogues will strike again?" I whispered to her. Ariel's smile fell almost immediately as she set down her cup of coffee.

"I don't know if I can disclose that information to you, especially not here." Ariel murmured sadly. "You'd have to ask Luke, and you know how my son is."

"Well I'm the one they're after!" I blurted in a loud voice. Half of the coffee shop occupants turned to look in our direction, and Ariel stood up, pushing in her chair.

"Mackenzie, I know you mean well, but right now, your biggest concern is your unborn baby." She spoke hurriedly as she turned and walked out of the shop. I stood up immediately and hurried after her, anger and fear holding dominance in my mind.

"I realize that, Ariel!" I exclaimed. "And that's part of why I need to know! What happens if they pull a surprise attack again? What if they get me before my baby is born?"

"Those are all probabilities, Kenzi, and very low ones." Ariel spoke firmly. "We have two hundred warriors guarding the pack borders, led by Walker, and you and I both know that he's itching to spill the blood of any rogue that comes within two miles of our borders." She opened her truck door and climbed in starting the engine. I sighed as I watched her pull away, before running a hand through my hair. I made my way to my small car, courtesy of Grant, and got in the driver's seat, pulling away and driving to the pack hospital.

When I walked into the main entrance of the hospital, I was greeted by Zach Jakobs, one of Grant's co-workers. He smiled when he saw me and strode over to me with his long strides.

"Hey there Kenzi!" He spoke in his loud voice as he stopped in front of me. "You here for a check up with the baby?"

"I-I didn't think so, I just wanted to see Grant." I blurted, alarmed.

"Oh...Grant had you scheduled for an appointment..." Zach blushed bashfully. I growled softly, damning my mate for not telling me about these things.

"Well where is he?" I demanded.

"He's currently working on a spinal fracture. One of the thirteen year olds shifted weird and his spine fractured." Zach explained, taking a defensive step back. I swore I could almost see the phrase 'Alert: Angry pregnant lady dead ahead, reroute now, repeat, reroute now' on his forehead clear as day. The door to the prenatal ward opened and the small female doctor, Penelope Winsor, stepped out.

"Oh, Mackenzie there you are!" Penelope grinned at me. "Come right this way!" I turned my head to face Zach, a murderous glare on my face as I begrudgingly made my way over to Penelope. She led me back to a small room with an ultra sound machine, and she made me strip, except for my panties, and put on a robe as she started up the machine. The door suddenly opened and I squealed in alarm, only to settle back down as my heart raced when I saw Grant standing there. He closed the door behind himself, after ushering Penelope away.

"But...I...thought Penelope-" I stammered in confusion.

"Why should I let some other person see our unborn child when I am perfectly capable of checking everything myself?" Grant smiled at me, leaning over and kissing my lips. The procedure carried out normally, and a wide smile suddenly appeared on my mate's face.

"What is it?" I asked in curiosity.

"Oh nothing," Grant hummed mischievously. I whined in protest.

"Tell me!" I begged as Grant turned off the machine, kissing my lips deeply.

"It's twins. A boy and a girl." Grant murmured against my lips before kissing me again.