Chapter Twenty-Eight: Witch's Stew and Puppy Love

Grant POV:

It was the most horrible thing, watching Walker go through life now, after his mate had died. He became violent, destructive, horribly so. If anyone even thought of Renee, he beat them bloody. However, as terrible a loss as it was to our pack, Alpha Luke was more concerned with an old, yet new problem. He had called the entire pack to a meeting in the pack common house, where we all sat and listened to what our great alpha had to say.

"The rogues...have come back once more." Alpha Luke announced. "There is no use in hiding any more facts. They have come back, and they are after the death of one person in particular. Mackenzie Jahnson." Some people turned and looked at my mate, with murderous eyes. I promptly curled my arms around her and snarled in a low tone, kissing Kenzi's jaw softly.

"However!" Alpha Luke spoke swiftly. "We will not send one of our own to their deaths. I am hereby instating that every male and female wolf over the age of sixteen and under the age of fifty will start training to be prepared and able to battle the rogues if and when they attack next. The only exceptions for this training are the doctors and medical staff of the pack, as per usual."

"At least I know you won't get hurt," Kenzi whimpered to me. "How many more people have to die because I'm alive?" She buried her face in her hands, sobbing softly.

"Kenzi baby," I tried to sooth her by nibbling on her throat, over my mark. "Shhh, it's okay baby. Take a deep breath." Kenzi nodded and crawled into my lap, breathing slowly and roughly. I kissed along the nape of her neck, my hand playing in her dark, amber colored hair as Alpha Luke continued the meeting.

When we were dismissed, Kenzi and I drove home quietly. When we got home, Kenzi walked straight to the bedroom and stripped her clothes off. She stared at herself in the full-length mirror, her hands on the small, defined baby bump of her stomach. I made my way slowly over to her, kneeling down in front of her and kissing her stomach softly.

"I hope he looks just like you," Kenzi whispered bashfully as a light pink blush spread across her face. I grinned at her and kissed her stomach again.

"He?" I questioned.

"Well...if it is a girl it has to have my drop dead gorgeous looks." She teased me as she batted her eyes. I stood up and pulled her body to mine, kissing her lips softly as I hummed a soft song to her.

"Grant?" She whispered, her voice husky and broken. "What-what if the rogues come...before the baby is born? What if...what if I get killed, and the baby is killed too?"

"I will never let that happen." I growled protectively. "You are my wife. I will protect you with every single god damn cell in my body."

"But your job is to care for the dying wolves-"

"My job is to protect my wife and my pup." I murmured. "I know Alpha Luke may reprimand me for this but you come before anyone else in the pack. You and our child." Kenzi sighed and moved to the closet, grabbing her silky white robe, pulling it on.

"Do you want dinner?" She asked, trying to sound upbeat and perky. "I saw a good recipe in one of Annabel's cookbooks, and I've been wanting to try it out!"

"Should I trust food from Annabel's cooking recipes?" I laughed gently as I followed my lovely mate to the kitchen. She swatted playfully at me, sticking out her cute pink tongue in my direction.

"Annabel is a good cook. She uses hardly any magic in her recipes." Kenzi murmured. "Nothing I can't handle." She opened the pantry door and pulled out the package of fettuccini noodles, pouring them into a pot of boiling water that she somehow summoned with a snap of her delicate fingers.