22. tequila&tears

Matty and I got a cab back to our flat at about ten o'clock. We were both completely drunk and quite high and Matty kept giggling every time I spoke to him or touched him. 

He leaned over and began nibbling on my earlobe. 

"Do you want to order a pizza when we get home?" He whispered to me. I nodded softly. 

"As long as it isn't barbecue." I said. 

"One pepperoni and one spinach?" 

"I love you." 

I snuggled into his chest and shut my eyes warily. 

I felt awful for doubting him, but I couldn't help wondering if when he was with me, he pretended I was someone else. Someone older, someone kinder, someone less... neurotic. 

God, he'd probably screwed with so many girls before I turned up again. 

I winced at the thought of it, but he didn't notice.

When the taxi pulled up outside the flats, Matty paid the driver seven pounds. 

"Thank you." I said to the driver before we shuffled out of the car into the cold autumn night air. 

I wrapped my arms around myself as I stood on the pavement next to him. 

"Aren't you cold? Come on, we should go inside." He said to me, taking my hand and gently pulling me inside. 

We didn't speak until we got up to our flat, or his flat, or whatever it was. But when we were in the lift, I leaned against him and kissed his shoulder gently. 

"Do you love me?" He asked softly. 

"Of course I do." I replied softly as he hands crept up the back of his shirt gently. "Of course I love you, Matty." 

I rested my head on his shoulder and he set his on top of mine. I felt okay again. 

We walked out of the lift and made our way to the flat. Matty and I chucked our coats down at the door and he ordered the pizza while I made my way into the living room and collapsed onto the sofa. I groaned loudly before turning the tv on and grinning when I realised Shrek was just starting. 

"Matty! Shrek's on!" I shouted to him. 

"Be there in a minute!" He shouted back. 

I pulled one of the many blankets covering the cold leather sofa over my legs and curled my feet underneath it. 

"Do you want a hot chocolate?" Matty shouted, now from the kitchen.

"Yes please." I replied. 

Since I had moved in, hot chocolate became a regular in his coffee and tea cupboard. 

I sighed, leaning my head onto the back of the sofa and shutting my eyes as I waited for Matty to return. 

After five minutes, he came into the room and sat down, shuffling under the blanket with me. He handed me my hot chocolate and began sipping his coffee. 

"Are you still cold?" I asked him. 

"I never said I was." He replied in between sips of his coffee. 

"No, but your hands were shaking." I said quietly, talking one of his hands and tracing my fingertips over it softly. 

He stared at the tv screen in silence as we waited for the pizzas to arrive. When the doorbell rung, about ten minutes later, I got up and padded over to it slowly, still holding my mug of hot chocolate.