Chapter 36

A/N - Welcome to the last chapter of "The Death of the Doctor". Title and sneak peek at the next book to come!

"Where are they?" Elise asked River.

"They'll be here any minute," River assured her daughter.

Soon enough, Amy and the Doctor entered the room.

"Dad!" Elise yelled.

"Elise!"

Elise threw her arms around her father.

"How...how did you get here?"

"River found me. Trust me when I say I have never been happier to see you!"

The Doctor smiled. Elise let go of him and he turned to River. "Hi, honey. I'm home."

River turned to face him. "And what sort of time do you call this?"

"The death of time. The end of time. The end of us all. Oh, why couldn't you just die?" Madame Kovarian asked.

River grabbed Elise. "Behave, sweetie."

The Doctor looked at the two woman.

"She keeps trying to kill her," River explained.

"Did my best, dear," the Doctor told Kovarian, "I showed up. You just can't get the psychopaths these days. Love what you've done with the pyramids. How did you score all this?"

"Hallucinogenic lipstick. Works wonders on President Kennedy. And Cleopatra was a real pushover," River told him.

"I always thought so."

"She mentioned you."

"What did she say?"

"Put down that gun."

"Did you?"

"Eventually."

"Oh, they're flirting. Do I have to watch this?" Kovarian complained.

"It was such a basic mistake, wasn't it, Madame Kovarian. Take a child, raise her into a perfect psychopath, introduce her to the Doctor. Who else was I going to fall in love with?" River asked.

"It's not funny, River. Reality is fatally compromised," the Doctor told her, "Tell me you understand that."

"Dinner?"

"I don't have the time. Nobody has the time, because as long I'm alive, time is dying. Because of you, River."

"Because I refused to kill the man I love."

"Oh, you love me, do you? Oh, that's sweet of you. Isn't that sweet. Come here, you." The Doctor rushed towards River.

"Get him!" Amy yelled.

Several soldiers grabbed the Doctor.

"Don't hurt him! Please don't hurt him!" Elise begged.

Amy wrapped an arm around the brunette.

"I'm not a fool, sweetie. I know what happens if we touch," River told him.

The Doctor managed to grab River's arm.

"Get off me. Get him off me!" River yelled.

"Doctor, no. Let go! Please Doctor, let go!" Amy yelled.

"It's moving. Time's moving!" a woman in a white coat told them.

"Get him off me! Doctor!" River yelled.