Chapter 34

A/N - Last chapter before the series finale!

Craig paced the living room floor with Alfie in his arms as the Doctor worked on the Cybermat. Craig yawned. "I'm knackered. That thing was eating up the electricity?"

"And transmitting it up to the Cybership. But why? Why do they need power? Why are those conversions not complete yet, and what are they doing up there?" the Doctor asked.

"You said you were going to look at its brain."

"No, I had to wipe its brain. Now I can reprogram it and use it as a weapon against them."

Craig sat down next to the Doctor on the couch. "The Cybermat came after us?"

"No, after me."

"They sent it after us."

"After me. Because of me, you and Alfie nearly died." The Doctor stopped working on the Cybermat. "Do you still feel safe with me, Craig?"

"You can't help who your mates are."

"No. I am a stupid, selfish man. Always have been. I should have made you go. I should never have come here."

"What would have happened if you hadn't come? Who else knows about the Cybermen and teleports?"

"I put people in danger."

"Stop beating yourself up. If it weren't for you, this whole planet would be an absolute ruin."

"Craig, very soon I won't be here. My time is running out. I don't mean Exedor. Silence will fall when the question is asked. Don't even know what the question is. I always knew I'd die still asking. Thing is, Craig, its tomorrow. Can't put it off any more. Tomorrow is the day I..." The Doctor looked back and saw Craig and Alfie asleep. He stood up and covered them with a blanket.

The Doctor and Elise waited for the sun to rise before leaving Craig's house. Elise had spent the night crying in her father's arms as he tried to comfort her. She knew this moment was coming, but she wasn't ready to say goodbye to him yet.

"Safe mode. Clever me. Come along, bitey."

They made their way to the department store.

"Morning!" Val greeted them.

"Morning. Teleport's still fused. They didn't repair it. So, the Cyberman last night. How did it get down here, how did it get out? And why, why, am I asking you?"

"You found the silver rat?"

"But where are the silver men?"

They went into the changing rooms.

"Secondary teleport. No, there is no other teleport. They must have had a back-up system. Something complicated, something powerful, something shielded. Something like a door? A door! A dyscillium-bonded steel door disguised as a wall." The Doctor entered one of the changing cubicles and opened the door disguised as a mirror. "That is cheating. So, it didn't teleport down, they climbed up."

Elise was about to follow the Doctor into the tunnel when he stopped her. "Stay here."

"But..."

He cupped her face. "Please."

Blue stared into green until Elise finally agreed.

The Doctor kissed her forehead and stepped back into the tunnel.

Elise left the changing rooms and found Craig. "Craig?"

"Oh! Elise! Where's the Doctor?"