Chapter 2

A/N - I'm feeling generous today, so I'm giving you two chapters. One now and one later in the day. So stay tuned!

The Doctor and Elise snuck back into Sardick's house, where the Doctor put his plan in motion.

A younger Kazran was sitting in front of a camera. "Hello, my name is Kazran Sardick. I'm twelve and a half, and this is my bedroom. This is my top secret special project. For my eyes only. Merry Christmas."

An older man burst into the room. "Kazran! Kazran! Kazran, what are you doing? What are you doing? I've warned you before about this, you stupid, ignorant, ridiculous child."

"I was just going to make a film of the fish."

"Fish are dangerous."

"I just want to see them."

"Don't be stupid. You're far too young."

"Everyone at school's seen the fish."

"That's enough. You'll be singing to them next, like gypsies."

"The singing works. I've seen it. The fish like the singing."

"What does it matter what fish like?"

"People say we don't have to be afraid of the fish. They're not really interested in us."

"You don't listen to people. You listen to me." Kazran's father backhanded him.

"Ow! I'm sorry, Father."

"This is my house. While you're under my roof, you'll obey my instructions. I don't care what you..."

The Doctor approached Sardick and touched him on the shoulder.

Sardick jumped and turned around.

"It's okay, it's okay," the Doctor told him.

"What have you done? What is this?"

"Found it on an old drive. Sorry about the picture quality. Had to recover the data using quantum enfolding and a paperclip." The Doctor sat down in his chair and started reading a newspaper from Sardick's side table.

For a second, Elise imagined the Doctor as her father. Her real father.

She pictured him sitting in the living room waiting for her to get home from school, reading the newspaper or a book. When he saw her, he would rush towards her and scoop her up in his arms. He'd kiss her cheeks and ask her how her day at school was. He would then carry her into the kitchen where River would be waiting with a snack. He'd help her with her homework before letting her go play before dinner.

Elise was snapped out of her fantasy by the Doctor speaking.

"Oh, I wouldn't bother calling your servants. They quit. Apparently they won the lottery at exactly the same time, which is a bit lucky when you think about it," he told Sardick.

"There isn't a lottery."

"Yeah, as I say, lucky."

"Who are you?" Sardick asked.

"Tonight, we're the Ghosts of Christmas Past. Did you ever get to see a fish, back then, when you were a kid?"

"What does that matter to you?"

"Look how it mattered to you."

"I cried all night, and I learned life's most invaluable lesson."