Chapter 33

They re-entered the department store and made their way to jewelry section.

"Good afternoon, Val," the Doctor said to an older woman working the counter.

"Hello."

"Where am I investigating?" Craig asked the Doctor.

"Well, look round. Ask questions. People like it when you're with a baby. Babies are sweet. People talk to you. That's why I usually take a human with me."

"So, I'm your baby?"

"You're my baby." The Doctor hugged Craig before he left.

"Hope you don't mind me saying, Doctor, but I think you look ever so sweet, you and your partner and the baby," Val said.

Elise fought the urge to laugh. The older woman also assumed that that she and the Doctor were brother and sister, going off how similar in age they looked.

The Doctor put on a pair of sunglasses, then took them off. "Partner. Yes, I like it. Is it better than companion?"

"Companion sounds old-fashioned. There's no need to be coy these days."

"You've not noticed anything unusual around here lately, Val?"

"Well..."

"Yes, yes?"

Val leaned in close to the Doctor. "Mary Warnock saw Don Petheridge snogging Andrea Groom outside the Conservative Club on his so-called day off golfing."

"Yeah. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all."

The Doctor air-kissed her on the cheeks and then started to walk away.

"And then there's that silver rat thing."

The Doctor turned around, smiling. "What?"

Val explained what she had seen. She thought it was a toy, so they searched the toy department.

"A silver rat, glowing red eyes," the Doctor said, standing up. He had been scanning underneath a table.

"Yes. Then it zizzed off. I wanted to get one for my nephew, but stockroom say there's no such item," Val told him.

"I bet they do."

"Well, what was it then? Answer me that."

They heard a crashing sound and Craig yelling, "Whoa!"

"What's all that hullabaloo?" Val asked.

"Er, that'll be my partner with the er..." Elise and the Doctor hurried off and found Craig in the ladies underwear section.

"Hello, everyone. Here to help!" the Doctor said.

"Hello, Doctor. Elise," Kelly said.

"Hello, Doctor. Hello, Elise," George, the manager, greeted.

"Hello. Has anyone seen a silver rat?"

Kelly and George shook their heads.

"No. Okay. Long shot. I see you've met my friend, Craig. Nice uniform, George."

"Thank you, Doctor. If he's with you, that's all right, then," George said.

"Sorry. I thought he was hassling me, because that's the last thing I need today, because Shona's not turned up, right, so I'm doing twice the work for the same money, if you don't mind..." Kelly ranted.