Chapter 8

When River, the Doctor, Rory, and Elise got to the children's home, they found Canton pointing a gun at a door.

"Okay, gun down. I've got it," the Doctor told him. He pulled out his sonic screwdriver and soniced the lock.

"Amy, we're here. Are you okay?" Rory asked.

"I can't see!" Amy cried.

The Doctor opened the door and they rushed in.

The room was empty except for the spacesuit that was lying on the floor.

"Where is she, Doctor?" Rory asked.

The Doctor soniced the spacesuit and River pulled up the visor. "It's empty," she said.

"It's dark. So dark. I don't know where I am. Please, can anybody hear me?" Amy's voice asked. Amy's nanorecorder was lying on the floor, flashing.

Rory picked it up. "They took this out of her. How did they do that, Doctor? Why can I still hear her?"

"Is it a recording?" River asked.

The Doctor soniced the recorder. "Um, it defaults to live. This is current. Wherever she is right now, this is what she's saying."

"Amy, can you hear me? We're coming for you. Wherever you are, we're coming, I swear," Rory said.

"She can't hear you. I'm so sorry. It's one way," the Doctor told him.

"She can always hear me, Doctor. Always. Wherever she is, and she always knows that I am coming for her. Do you understand me? Always."

Rory's devotion to Amy always warmed Elise's hearts. She hoped that one day she'd find someone who would search the universe to get back to her.

"Doctor, are you out there? Can you hear me? Doctor? Oh, God. Please, please, Doctor, just get me out of this," Amy's voice begged.

"He's coming. I'll bring him, I swear," Rory said.

"Hello? Is somebody there?" a voice asked.

A man came into the room. It was the owner of the orphanage. "I think someone has been shot. I think we should help. We c...I can't re...I can't remember."

They went down to his office and a Silence was lying on the floor, bleeding from a gunshot wound.

Elise gasped and hid behind River and Rory as the Doctor knelt in front of the creature.

"Okay. Who and what are you?" the Doctor asked.

"Silence, Doctor. We are the Silence. And Silence will fall," it said.

They took the spacesuit back to the warehouse to examine it.

"It's an exoskeleton. Basically, life support. There's about twenty different kinds of alien tech in here," River said.

"Who was she? Why put her in here?" the Doctor asked.

"You put this on, you don't even need to eat. The suit processes sunlight directly. It's got built in weaponry, and a communications system that can hack into anything."

"Including the telephone network?"

"Easily."

"But why phone the President?"