Chapter 20

A/N - Welcome to the midseries finale!

River walked down the corridor of Stormcage dressed in Regency era clothing as alarms went off around her. She picked up the guard's phone. "Oh, turn it off. I'm breaking in, not out. This is River Song, back in her cell."

The alarms stopped going off.

"Oh, and I'll take breakfast at the usual time. Thank you."

She hung up and saw two figures standing there.

One was smaller and the other was dressed like a Roman.

"Oh, are you boys dressing up as Romans now? I thought nobody read my memos," River said.

They stepped out of the shadows.

It was Rory and Elise.

"Doctor Song. It's Rory. Sorry, have we met yet?" he asked, "Time streams. I'm not quite sure where we are."

"Yes. Yes, we've met. Hello, Rory. Hello, Ellie."

Elise had grown once again in her absence.

"What's wrong?" Rory asked.

River let out a shuddering breath. "It's my birthday. The Doctor took me ice skating on the River Thames in 1814, the last of the great Frost Fairs. He got Stevie Wonder to sing for me under London Bridge. And of course you were there, little star."

"Stevie Wonder sang in 1814?"

"Yes, he did. But you must never tell him."

"We've come from the Doctor too."

"Yes, but at a different point in time."

"Unless there's two of them."

River smirked. "Now, that's a whole different birthday." She pulled out her diary as Rory said, "He needs you."

River found the entry she was looking for. "Demon's Run."

"How...how did you know?" Rory asked.

"I'm from his future. I always know. Why on Earth are you wearing that?" "The Doctor's idea."

"Of course. His rules of engagement. Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

"...Look ridiculous."

"Have you considered heels?"

"They've taken Amy. And our baby. The Doctor's getting some people together. We're going after her, but he needs you, too."

"I can't. Not yet, anyway."

"I'm sorry?"

"This is the Battle of Demon's Run. The Doctor's darkest hour. He'll rise higher than ever before and then fall so much further, and I can't be with him till the very end."

"Why not?"

"Because this is it. This is the day he finds out who I am."

"Come on, Elise. She's obviously not going to help."

Rory stalked off, back to the TARDIS.

"I'm sorry," River told Elise.

"Happy birthday, mum."

"Thank you, little star."

Elise ran after Rory.

"Was that Rory I saw?" a voice asked.

River turned to face the redhead. "Yes, it was. What are you doing here?"

"You didn't think I wasn't going to visit you on your birthday? I'm hurt."