Chapter Five

ELENA'S POV:

"Mommy!"

I looked up from the food to see Mia running over to me, pointing outside.

"Papa's calling you outside" she said, flopping down on the couch beside Vic. I placed my drink down on the table and excused myself, but Mia started following me out.

"Baby go sit with Auntie Vic" I said, but she held onto my arm.

"I think Papa's angry" she whispered, before running back to Vic and Alejandro. A guilty feeling set in my stomach as I remembered mine and Kairi's earlier conversation. Had Mattia heard? Or Kairi told him?
I made my way outside to see Mattia holding a picture in his hand, the frame had shattered and was lying on the ground. He looked up and noticed me.

"Who threw this picture out the window?"

I walked over to him, taking the picture from his hands. It was the one from Vegas. I quickly put two and two together, realising Kairi did it out of spite. But I couldn't tell Mattia that, because then I'd have to explain it all to him.

"I did" I said quickly, looking down at the shattered glass. The wind blew through my hair as I clutched the photo in my hand.

"Why? That frame was limited edition, but besides that, why would you want to wreck something special like that?" he said, his tone indicated that he was disappointed in me. I fought the urge to cry, and made up another lie.

"I was cleaning the windowsill and I must've knocked it on mistake"

"Mistake?" Mattia looked at me with a confused expression on his face before rolling his eyes "whatever, I don't care"

He disappeared back inside and I looked down at the photo. I hated lying to Mattia. But if I told the truth, god know what would've happened.

-

I walked back into the kitchen and saw Mattia watching soccer with Alejandro. His eyes stayed glued to the TV when I walked in, so I walked over and sat between him and Vic.

"I put Leo and Axel to sleep upstairs" yawned Vic, as she braided Mia's hair.

"Thank you for everything" I said, giving her a side hug.

"That's what sisters are for" she winked, tying a hair tie at the bottom of Mia's hair. Mia stood up proudly and showed off her new hairstyle.

"Papa look!" she said, crawling onto his lap. But instead of talking to her, Mattia swatted her away, keeping his attention on the game. Mia wasn't used to that. If anything, she had a soft spot for Mattia, so was especially hurt when he didn't react.

"In a sec" he said, pulling out his phone. Alejandro has fallen asleep with a glass of alcohol in his hand, and Vic rolled her eyes.

"I told him to take it easy" said Vic, standing up and taking the glass. I knew she didn't really stand up to take the glass, she did it to let me talk to Mattia privately. I didn't even have to say anything and she knew.

"I get you're mad at me but that doesn't mean you take it out on Mia" I hissed at him, but he kept staring at his phone, completely dismissing what I had to say. Without thinking, I reached forward and snatched the phone out of his hand.

"What the fuck" he said loudly. Vic's head snapped around as my eyes widened.

"Don't swear in front of Mia!" I exclaimed as Vic came over. Mia looked at us cluelessly.

"Give me the fucking phone then!" he shouted, waking Alejandro. Mia started crying and Vic grabbed her quickly, taking her out the room.

"Are you fucking insane, Mattia?" I said, holding the phone behind my back. He reached forward and tried to grab the phone, eventually cornering me. Alejandro rubbed his eyes sleepily.

"What are you guys doing?" he said, sitting up.

"Give me my phone!" yelled Mattia, our body inches apart.

"What are you hiding?" I asked.

"Nothing, I just want my fucking phone"

I reached forward, pressing the phone into his hand. He returned back to his seat, and placed the phone deep into his pocket.

"Y'all are losing your shit, I'm going to bed" said Alejandro, standing up and walking out.

"Goodnight" called out Mattia.

"I'm going too" I said, standing up. But he kept his mouth shut tight as I walked out the door. I checked on Mia before I went to my room and she was wide awake. She smiled as I approached her, holding her little arms out for a hug.

"Can I sleep in your bed, Mommy?" she asked, looking up at me. I knew Mattia would act like I was invisible the whole night, so I couldn't refuse.

"Of course you can, Mi" I said, picking her up.

"Only Uncle Kairi calls me that" she said, wrapping her legs around my body. I shook my head as we walked across the landing and into my room. His name was the last thing I needed to hear right now.

"Okay okay" I said, laying her down. I tucked her in before getting changed into my own nightwear, joining Mia in bed.

"Goodnight Mamma" she whispered. I pulled her over to me and kissed her forehead.

"' Goodnight baby" I replied, looking over her shoulder and seeing the empty space on my nightstand.

I sighed to myself, not knowing why Kairi would make such a rash decision, knowing perfectly what it would cause. I really thought we were past this, but it just felt like we were back to square one.