Chapter Three

ELENA'S POV:

I held onto Mattia's arm as we watched the tiny coffin being placed in the ground. We decided it was best for just the both of us to be here, along with the vicar. No one else needed to bear this burden of pain.

"I just wish I could've held her" Mattia wept, resting his head on mine. I pressed my lips together, feeling the tears against my skin. I didn't know what to say. There was nothing that could help the situation, and if I opened my mouth, I'd just cry. Not knowing when to stop. The vicar said a prayer, leaving Mattia and I to stand in silence. I knelt down to ground level, placing my hand on the blank headstone.

"I'm sorry, baby girl" I whispered, covering my mouth. Mattia appeared beside me, wiping his eyes. We stayed silent for a while, staring straight ahead.

"Gracie"

I looked at Mattia, he started directly at the headstone.

"Gracie?"

"I just" his voice cracked as his eyes refilled with fresh tears "it could've been her name"

My heart ached at his words, but it hurt even more when I thought about Mia and Axel. How was I supposed to tell them about their unborn sister?

-

Mattia and I got home at around 3pm. The house was quiet since Axel and Mia were having a nap. I walked into the kitchen to see Vic. She saw me and immediately stood up, holding her arms out.

"That was horrible" I sobbed, holding her close.

"Shh it's over now" she said softly, rubbing my back. We sat down on the couch and Mattia came in, his eyes a bloodshot red.

"I called Kairi and Alé over, is that okay?" He said, looking at me. I nodded, unable to say anything else.
I looked around the room and saw Axel's baby toys lying around. The tears resurfaced in my eyes and Vic quickly took ahold of me.

"I can't stay in here" I cried, putting my head in my hands.

"Let's go to your room" she said, leading me out the kitchen. Once we got upstairs I walked over to my vanity, catching a glimpse of myself in the mirror. To say I was a mess, would be an understatement.

Mascara stained my under eyes, as well as my cheeks. I couldn't bear to look at myself any longer, shutting my eyes tight as I laid on the bed.

"Okay, stay there and I'll be right back" said Vic, rushing towards my bathroom. I heard her rustling about in the drawers as I looked at the nightstand. I saw the picture of Mattia and I on our wedding day, it made me remember when times were much happier. I looked across to see the picture of Kai, Vic and I in Vegas. That made me remember how awful the ending to that night was. But despite the lows, Kairi and I had it good. But no toxic relationships work out. I sighed, staring up at the ceiling.

"Okay" said Vic, coming back in with a bunch of serums and creams in her hands "I'm giving you a facial because you deserve it"

"Vic you don't have to-"

"Nope, not taking no for an answer" she said, forcing me to lie down. I watched as she got out a sheet mask. Maybe I needed the distraction.

KAIRI'S POV:

"How was it?" Alejandro asked. We were sitting in Mattia's kitchen after the funeral. He shrugged, holding onto a glass of water. The shirt he was wearing had tear marks on it, and his disheveled brown hair was messier than usual.

"Sad, I guess"

His voice was low as he tried to make sense of the whole situation. No parent should ever have to bury their child. I couldn't imagine the pain.