Chapter One

MATTIA'S POV:

I heard the blaring sirens behind me as I held onto Elena's body. My tears had made my eyes sore and my shirt was soaked in her blood. But I didn't care about any of that. All I cared about was her. Nothing else mattered to me.

"I'm so sorry, baby" I whispered, brushing the hairs out of her face. I kissed her cheek which was becoming increasingly colder.

"Sir, we'll need you to step away from the body"

I looked up and saw two paramedics with all their kit. I shook my head and buried my face in my wife's neck, sobbing even harder than I already was. Her eyes remained shut but I tried shaking her gently, no response.

"Sir please, don't do that" said one of them, placing a hand on my shoulder. I kept one arm around Elena, wiping my eyes with the other.

"You don't understand, she's my wife"

Kairi and Alejandro came out the kitchen, closing the door behind them this time. I felt them both place their arms around me, lifting me up.

"No! She needs me! Get the fuck off me!" I yelled, trying to shake them off. But they held onto me tighter, as I felt myself being distanced further and further away from her. The paramedics began helping her, completely creating a barrier between us both. Defeated, I sunk into Alejandro and Kairi's arms, holding onto them.

"You and Mattia go to the hospital, I'll look after the kids with the girls" said Kairi. I stayed quiet, numb to the situation. All I wanted to do was run over to Elena and take her, Axel and Mia, to a place where nothing could ever go wrong. But instead, I was sitting in our hallway, watching as two paramedics tried to bandage my wife up, to stop the blood from spewing out of her stomach.

The blood. There was so much fucking blood.

"Are you sure? You don't wanna go?" Alejandro asked. Kairi shook his head.

"I'll take care of everyone here, I'll come later" he replied. Alejandro nodded his head and began leading me outside towards his car and Kairi headed back into the kitchen. I watched as they lifted her vulnerable body onto a stretcher. Her long brown hair was now a tinted colour because of the blood which was soaked into it. I shuddered at the sight of the white sheet covering her body. I felt sick to my stomach.

KAIRI'S POV:

I walked into the kitchen to see Leo and Axel asleep on a couch. Vic had Mia in her arms, they were both crying, unsure of what to make out of the whole situation. Adriana walked up to me, placing her hand on my arm.

"You good, baby?"

I shook my head, my eyes filling with tears. I left the kitchen quickly, going to the nearest bathroom. Everytime I closed my eyes I saw Jackson firing the shot. The bullet ripping through Elena's delicate body. I saw her as she dropped to the floor, clutching her stomach. Tears streaming down the sides of her face. I wanted so desperately to reach out, and hold her. But I was too riddled with fear.

I placed my hands on either sides of the sink, letting the tears escape down my cheeks. There was a knock at the door, and I quickly wiped my face. I saw Adriana who also had red eyes, and pulled her into a hug, wrapping my arms around her waist.

"It should've been me" I said, my voice shaking. She ran her hands through my hair, shaking her head.

"Don't say that, Elena shouldn't have taken the bullet, but you can't blame yourself, Kairi" she said, pulling away and holding my face in her hands. I squeezed my eyes shut, desperate for the tears to stop. Adriana's thumbs gently brushed against my skin as she wiped my tears.

"You have to stay strong for her, and if you won't stay strong for Elena, then do it for the sake of Mia" she said. I nodded my head slowly, looking in the direction of the kitchen.

"How is she?"

Adriana took a breath, licking her lips nervously.

"She hasn't stopped crying, ever since she saw Mattia with Elena. She was shaking so much"

"Fuck" I said, wiping my face. I walked over to the kitchen, opening the door. I walked over to Vic and picked Mia up. She wrapped her arms tightly around my neck, closing her eyes.

"I think maybe you should take her out for a while, get her away from all this" whispered Adriana, as she comforted Vic. I nodded and walked out into the hallway, rubbing Mia's back.

"Hey beautiful" I said softly, lifting Mia's chin up. She looked at me with tears in her eyes, holding onto her blue teddy bear that Vic and Alejandro had given her at Christmas.

"Is Mommy gonna die?"

I shook my head quickly, plastering a smile on my face.

"Of course she isn't! Your Mommy is so strong, and we can even go see her soon!" I said enthusiastically, watching as a smile appeared on her face.

"Wanna go get ice cream with your Uncle Kairi?" I said, scrunching my nose. She started jumping up and down in my arms, laughing excitedly.

"Yes! Let's go now!" She squealed. I smiled and grabbed my keys. I looked outside the front door, and saw it'd started raining heavily.

"Uh, Mia you wanna get a coat?" I said, turning back to her.

"Yeah it's in Mommy's closet, come on I'll show you"

She ran over to me and took my hand, leading me up the stairs. Her hand was so little that she held onto three of my fingers whilst dragging me towards Mattia and Elena's room. We entered the room and I looked around, seeing Axel's cradle to the right, and a king size bed placed next to it. Mia ran to the closet and picked out a coat, and my eyes fell on one of the nighstands. There was a picture of Elena and Mattia on their wedding day, but next to it there was a picture of Elena, Vic and I. My arm was around Elena's waist, and I was stood between them both. We all looked so happy. That was way before I had gotten drunk and ruined everything.

That was when she was mine.

After all these years, she still chose to keep that memory. It made me wonder whether she still felt the way I still do.

"I got it!" said Mia, snapping me back to reality. I wiped my eyes quickly and turned to see her with her coat on.

"Great! Let's go, Mi" I smiled, taking her hand.

"You're the only person who calls me Mi, Uncle Kairi"

"Is that okay?" I said, unlocking the front door. She looked up and gave me that same adorable smile. It reminded me of Elena.

"That's very okay" she giggled, running towards my car. I watched as she got into the car, putting her seatbelt on.

Elena would pull through this. She knew her children needed her, almost as much as I needed her.