Skin

GAS STATION

Sam, Dean and Ellie pull into the station. Dean looks over at his two siblings.
"Alright, I figure we'd hit Tucumcari by lunch, then head south, hit Bisbee by midnight." Ellie nods a long with this and then smirks at Sam as he isn't paying attention. "Sam wears women's underwear." Dean carries on. Sam looks up with a small smile.
"I've been listening, I'm just busy." He defends himself as he looks back down at his phone.
"Busy doing what?" Ellie asks.
"Reading emails." Sam answers, Dean gets out of the car and starts to fill the tank with gas.
"Emails from who?" Ellie questions trying to sneak a look at his phone.
"From my friends at Stanford." Dean looks into the window.
"You're kidding. You still keep in touch with your college buddies?" Dean asks, Ellie tuts at Dean's remark.
"Why not?" Sam says.
"Well, what exactly do you tell 'em? You know, about where you've been, what you've been doin'?" Dean says intrigued.
"I tell 'em I'm on a road trip with my brother and sister. I tell 'em I needed some time off after Jess."
"Oh, so you lie to them." Dean says. Ellie tuts again.
"Dean-" Ellie starts.
"No. I just don't tell them... everything."
"Yeah, that's called lying. I mean, hey, man, I get it, tellin' the truth is far worse." Dean tells Sam.
"So, what am I supposed to do, just cut everybody out of my life?" Dean shrugs. "You're serious?" Sam looks shocked, he turns to Ellie.
"Hey don't look at me! I don't even know what the meaning of 'friend' is." Ellie says, smiling, she then looks down. "That was supposed to be a joke.. but it's actually just sad." Ellie looks, Dean smiles lightly at Ellie.
"Don't worry dude, I'm your friend." Dean and Ellie bump fists.
"You know, you two are kinda antisocial, you know that?"
"Yeah, whatever." Dean says. Sam continues to read his emails.
"God..." Sam says shocked, Ellie looks at him.
"What?"
"In this email from this girl, Rebecca Warren, one of those friends of mine."
"Is she hot?" Dean smirks, Ellie smacks him around the head while Sam ignores him.
"I went to school with her, and her brother Zack. She says Zack's been charged with murder. He's been arrested for killing his girlfriend. Rebecca says he didn't do it but it sounds like the cops have a pretty good case."
"Dude, what kind of people are you hangin' out with?" Dean asks.
"No, man, I know Zack. He's no killer."
"Well, maybe you know Zack as well as he knows you."
"They're in St. Louis, we're goin'." Dean chuckles at this.
"Look, sorry 'bout your buddy, okay? But this does not sound like our kind of problem." Dean says, Ellie looks at Sam with sympathy.
"Come on, Dean let's go check it out, these are Sam's friends." Ellie says gently.
"It is our problem Dean, they're my friends."
"St. Louis is 400 miles behind us, Sam." Dean says, Sam and Ellie look at Dean with puppy dog eyes, Dean rolls his eyes and they start driving away.

ST. LOUIS

Sam, Dean and Ellie are outside Rebecca's house, Rebecca opens the door, Dean smirks.
"Oh my God, Sam!" Rebecca says very happily.
"Well, if it isn't little Becky."
"You know what you can do with that little Becky crap." Rebecca smiles and they hug.
"I got your email."
"I didn't think that you would come here." Dean and Ellie who were standing behind Sam, step forward from each side. Dean extends his hand.
"Dean, older brother." They shake hands.
"Hi." Rebecca says.
"Hi." Dean says in a flirty manner. Ellie then shakes her hand.
"Ellie, little sister." They smile at each other.
"We're here to help. Whatever we can do."
"Come in." Rebecca walks into her house, they follow, Ellie breathes out at the size of the house.
"Nice place." Ellie compliments
"It's my parents'. I was just crashing here for the long weekend when everything happened. I decided to take the semester off. I'm gonna stay until Zack's free."
"Where are your folks?" Sam asks.
"They live in Paris for half the year, so they're on their way home now for the trial." They enter the kitchen. "Do you guys want a beer or something?" Ellie and Dean smile at this.
"Hey-" They say in unison.
"No thanks, she's only 20. Tell us what happened." Sam says, Ellie sneers at her brother.
"Well, um, Zack came home, and he found Emily tied to a chair. And she was beaten up and bloody, and she wasn't breathing." Rebecca starts to cry. "So, he called 911, and the police - they showed up, and they arrested him. But, the thing is, the only way that Zack could've killed Emily is if he was in 2 places at the same time. The police - they have a video. It's from the security tape from across the street. And it shows Zack coming home at 10.30. Now, Emily was killed just after that, but I swear, he was here, having a few beers until at least after midnight." Rebecca finishes.
"You know, maybe we could see the crime scene. Zack's house." Sam says.
"We could." Dean states.
"Why? I mean, what could you do?" Rebecca asks.
"Well, me, not much. But Dean's a cop." Sam says, Ellie and Dean laugh at this.
"Detective, actually." Dean adds, Ellie looks at him with a questioning look.
"Really." Dean nods. "Where?"
"Bisbee, Arizona. But I'm off-duty now."
"You guys, it's so nice to offer, but I just don't know."
"Becky, look, I know Zack didn't do this. Now we have to find a way to prove that he's innocent."
"Okay, I'm gonna go to get the keys." She walks away, down the hall.
"Oh yeah man, you're a real straight shooter with your friends."
"Look, Zack and Becky need our help."
"I just don't think this is our kind of problem." Dean says. Ellie turns to Dean.
"Two places at once? We've looked into less." Ellie says to Dean, Sam smiles at her for having his back. Like always.