Chapter 35: Culprit

Chapter 35

Ava Marquez-Petrakis

I didn't know anything about legalities but Iñigo's plan made sense. But I felt guilty because it will be Calyx who will be targeted.

We were outside Addie's room when I talked to Calyx. Addie's vitals were stable but the doctors don't know when she'll wake up.

"I appreciate you doing this Calyx, " I spoke to him

"Nah. Your basically family." Calyx grinned "Until Saul's hasn't been arrested its best if we can keep this facade."

Nodding my head, I spotted Emma stopping in her tracks when she saw Calyx before pulling her shoulders up and walking towards us. She gave a tight smile to Calyx before giving me a warm smile. "I brought you a new pair of clothes."

"I'll better be off, " Calyx spoke nodding to us both "I have to check on Leanne and Iñigo too."

Once he was out of earshot, Emma spoke "I broke up with him."

"Why?" I asked in confusion.

"He isn't what I thought he was, " Emma spoke "One day he'll be sweet then another moment he'll have this darkness in his eyes. The guy must be bipolar and I couldn't keep up with his moods."

"That's strange. I always thought he was sweet, " I spoke and sank at the chair outside of Addie's room.

"How are you and Iñigo coping up?" Emma asked "I handled the company so you don't have to worry about it."

"We've been pretty stressed out the past few days, " I honestly told her "There were shoe marks found in Addie's condo unit. We can only guess it was Saul's. Iñigo's always with Leanne because he felt guilty not answering her calls the day she was assaulted. As for Saul, he had been radiosilence. I couldn't stop thinking how he could get in."

Emma sighed beside me. "Are you okay with Iñigo spending time with Leanne?"

"I don't mind. I know he loves him and he's just taking care of her since Leanne doesn't have anyone." I spoke the same words Iñigo told me. "But I couldn't stop the feeling that Iñigo's pulling away."

"What do you mean?" Emma asked.

"He has been a bit cold and distant, " I honestly spoke "I blame it on the stress but I have a feeling he's pulling away in hopes of protecting me."

"That's bullshit. You're stronger together. You can watch out and protect each other." Emma supplied to me the same words I spoke to Iñigo.

"He did agreed but I wasn't convinced, " sighing and clutching the bag of clothes. "For now, Leanne shall be the witness for Saul's trial. Once Addie wakes she'll be added as witness to crucify Saul."

"It's so shocking that Saul can do those thinga for money. He and my dad were once business partners and I've seen him interact with us when we were kids. I guess we really don't know people." Emma commented "Just like Calyx."

"Is there any chance for you to be together again?"

"No, " she shook her head and crossed her arma "You know how I always have this inner voice in my head that seems to detect people's intentions. I know Calyx is a great guy but there are days where something is off. I couldn't quite put a finger on it but its there. He also didn't liked the hoodie I gave him but I found him wearing a lot of hoodies and longsleeve. Anyway maybe its just me being paranoid again."

"Maybe." I spoke. The nurse checking Addie went in and smiled to us. "She comes in twice a day to check Addie's vitals."

"Any improvements?"

"None." I sadly replied.

"Hey, cheerup Addie is a strong kid." Emma replied. Grinning at her, I was about to respond when we heard a commotion inside. Quickly, the guards stationed outside ran to the room.

Opening the doors, I was horrified to see a gaunt looking Saul on top of the nurse. He was wrestling on the syringe the nurse was holding in her hand. Suddenly, he was tackled to the ground by my guards as we helped the poor nurse up.

"She was about to administer a drug to your sister. If it enters the bloodstream, it will make her heart beat fast until your sister die of cadiac arrest." Saul spoke struggling in the arms of my bodyguard.

"That's not true!"

"Check the medicine!" Saul cried out. True enough it was a different medicine from what Addie needed.

"He ordered me to administer it! Said if I don't my family will be killed!" The nurse sobbed.

"Nooo! I am being framed!" Saul cried out "I am being frames! This was all Leanne's plan!"

"What's going on in here?" Finally Iñigo's booming voice entered the scene. His eyes fixed murderously on his father.

"Son, I am being framed. I never wished to take your money. I didn't harmed Addie but I was there to warn her." Saul pleaded with Iñigo "You have to believe me!"

Iñigo looked torn before he spoke "Take him away."

"Nooo! She'll try to kill me! Then the truth wont come out! Pleasee someone wants to kill me and your sister Ava."

"Who?" I asked.

"I don't know but whoever it is he or she is a close friend of yours." Saul kneeled in front of me "Please, you have to believe me."

Iñigo spoke, "I said take him away."

"Son! Please! I'm innocent!" Saul repeatedly pleaded. Emma hugged me as I stood there staring at the door. Iñigo was breathing hard and the nurse was also escorted outside.

"Emma can you please leave us?" Iñigo asked.

Nodding, Emma left us and I turned to Iñigo. "Are you alright?" He asked me.

I nodded my head and he sighed. I turned to Addie. I checked her pulse and asked for the doctor. When the doctor gave the clear, I quitely sat beside Iñigo in the room. His brows furrowed, his eyes on the wall and his arms crossed in front of him.

"Do you believe him?" I asked.

"I need evidence." Iñigo spoke "And I have a feeling your sister is our answer."

"How?" I asked him in confusion.

"I don't know but my gut tells me something isn't right." He spoke "I hope Addie wakes up sooner. Meanwhile, I want you to rest, I have something to do."

"No, wait." I stopped him "I want to come with you."

"Ava---"

"No. You listen. If someone is out there wanting to kill us, we don't who it is. If its someone close to us we cant trust anyone." I responded to him "We only have each other, Iñigo. So whatever you plan to do, count me in."

There was silence for a few minutes. I watched Iñigo's eyes as he battled over wanting to protect me or letting me help. Eventually, he sighed and nodded his head. "Fine. I'll have to double my men in guarding Addie. As for us, we're checking Addie's condo. I have a feeling we'll get answers that the investigators didn't."

06.01.2020

Hi! I'm uploading as much as I can since I have the time. This may or may not be 40-45 chapters.