Chapter 8: Rome

CHAPTER 8

Ava Marquez's POV
Iñigo was unusually quite as we ate our meal. I tried to think what could possibly have turned him to be quite. Racking my brain, I remember telling him about my parents and about Rome and Grace. But I also remember Rome giving us his wisdom. Maybe he was absorbing the love stories since he is very bitter with love?

Peaking at him through my lashes, I watch him gracefully chew his meal and cut his meal. Even the way he eats was sexy and beautiful. His posture is spot on and his manners are on point. One can see the difference between us.

He must have felt my gaze because he stopped cutting his meat and looked at me with his smoldering eyes. "What is it?"

I gently asked him "Are you okay? You've been awfully quite."

He sighed and shook his head.

"You know you can be honest with me. We can make a pinky promise that I won't take offense nor will I share to anyone what you will tell me." I urged him on. He was thinking very deeply after Rome gave us our meal. What could he possibly think of?

"Pinky promise?" His eyebrows rose and his eyes shown mirth in them.

I nodded grinning at him as I finish my meal "Yes. My dad and I used to make pinky promises."

Holding my pinky at him, I was shocked that he hooked it with mine. Yes! I can ask him anything! But first things first.

"So, what were you thinking after Rome's advice? You were in really deep thought." I pondered as I placed my arms on the table and slumped my head on my hands.

He sighed, ruffled his hair and leaned on his chair. "I just couldn't wrap my head on the idea of loving someone for the rest of your life. My parents aren't the best models for that and so is my failed marriage."

"I understand, it is hard to think of love when you've been faced with those situations." His eyes tilted to meet mine "But maybe if you would take a chance again and use Rome and Grace's story as examples, you can get your happily ever after too."

"It's my turn now to ask questions." I said leaning forward "Why are you so scared of asking for help?"

He stilled in his seat, averting his gaze from me. I waited for him until he expelled a breath "I was thought young that it was beneath a Petrakis to ask for help from anyone."

"So you never asked for help?" I gasped out loud.

"I did but only a couple of times." he guiltily replied "My parents raised me well but overtime I realized I didn't like the lessons or values they preached. I was taught to be independent, ruthless and unforgiving. Marriage should be to gain power. Hence, when I married Laurene they partly didn't approve of it since Laurene's family company was bankrupt. I guess I became bitter and heartless after what happened."

I nodded in understanding "It's actually in these moments that you tap onto your values and your support system. Everyone needs help. Even the most powerful heroes in history needed help."

"I know. I'm slowly trying to apply it."

"So, will you accept my proposal since its basically me helping you out too." I asked hopefully.

He grinned at me with a naughty smile on hsi face "I thought it was my turn to ask questions now."

"You are such a party pooper." I pouted at him. He softly grinned and his face grew serious.

"How do you do it?" he asked me leaning forward "How do you stay positive despite everything life has given you?"

"I'm too pretty and amazing to get wrinkles, that's why." We both laughed at my joke. "But on a more serious note, I just don't have the energy or time to be dwell on self-pity. I mean do get sad and at nights I would cry myself to sleep but once I wake I would always put on a brave face. My sister needed me and I needed myself to be strong so I can give her a good life."