Chapter 25: Miguel Avalon

CHAPTER 25

Inigo Petrakis

I woke up at the crack of dawn.  Slowly lifting myself from the bed, I placed a pillow on my side and tiptoed to the bathroom. It was 4 in the morning and I knew my men will be at the vineyard and the stables. It had been years since I worked in Hacienda de Avalon.

I miss the smell of the earth, the horses and the fresh Spanish air. I can distinctly remember the taste of sweet grapes picked and fermented to become one of our best-selling wines. I used to take care of the horses and ride them as any professional would do. Horses and I understood each other. I wonder if my old Arabian stallion still recognizes me.

Putting on some fresh working clothes, I slowly made my way out of the bathroom and walked to the sleeping figure of my wife, Ava. Her arms were curled on the pillow I placed on my side of the bed. Her raven hair was a beautiful tangled mess on the white sheets. The baby pink camisole she put on was as preppy and sweet as her personality. Her breathing was even and slow puffs of air came out of her mouth. Her long lashes fanned her cheekbones and a peaceful smile was on her lips.

She was beautiful. It took every inch of my self-control not to take her last night and the days we didn't talked with each other. I knew I was being an ass but I was scared on acting on the feelings I have for her.

I had to convince myself that all this was only friendship. Surely, men and women were better off as friends. It will be much easier than to succumb to the whims of passion and love. Love complicates things, and I do not wish to hurt her by acting on my feelings. I was my parents' son. Surely, she knew by now my past and the possibility of my infidelity.

My parents had the same love story. They loved each other when I was a boy but that love soon faded. Soon they were taking their own lovers. I do not wish for Ava to love me and show her affection when I may fall out of love and hurt her in the process. So, it was better for us to be friends.

Placing a soft kiss on her forehead, I smoothed the hair on her cheek and straightened up. I walked out of our room and closed it. Turning to the huge window on the side, I can see my men on their horses. Just in time. Chuckling, I quickly descended the stairs two at a time.

Our home and land were from the old family of my mother. The Avalons were wealthy knights and merchants who were close to the King. Being in the King's favor granted my ancestors numerous houses, land and people. We became Spain's wealthiest and oldest family. The lived lavish lives, eminent by the parties and balls they held in our ancestral home.  It wasn't long before they got addicted with gambling and women. Slowly, our properties dwindles to pay off our debts. It didn't helped the wars razed by our king. Until we were left only with our ancestral home and the vineyard. If not for my great-great-great-great grandfather, our home and vineyard would have been lost.

My mother named me after him. He wanted me to be as wise and dedicated as Juan Iñigo Avalon. He was a wise businessman who grew our vineyard and wine business. I can say we were alike in that department. But what made my Madre admire him was his endless love for his wife, Katarina Avalon.

I shook my head as I remembered their love story. It was my mother's bedtime story and for a long time I believed I was my ancestor. But his life was different than mine. I accepted a long time ago that we were nothing alike and I cannot have the life he had. My only purpose today is to maintain our family home and wealth, and reproduce heirs.

Thinking about my heirs brought a smile to my face. I longed for a long time to have a son or a daughter of my own. I knew for a fact that I will love them unconditionally and give them the best life. But Leanne never wanted to have kids. She gave me reasons of not being ready yet and I waited patiently until she was ready. It was too late for me to realize she never wanted to have kids. She never wanted her body to be filled by stretch marks, dark underarms or darkening neck.