Chapter Three

Carmen

Two weeks later and I'm still hiding. I can't deal with confrontation, even if if I should. My past has weakened me.

Flashback

Everyday around this time I was allowed to go outside and play. I'm not very playful so I like to draw things on my drawing pad.

I sat on the last step and placed my pencil box beside me. I proceeded to draw whatever was on my mind. I was so caught up by the black lines that I didn't notice that things were hitting me. I glanced through my dark bangs to see Joanna and Kevin throwing rocks.

They're the twins that live next door. I think they're a year or so older than I am. Problems with them started two months back when I was placed in the care of Tina and Jennifer Kelly.

Jennifer and Tina

Jennifer and Tina

Their family and most families in this town hate the Kellys. Mainly because Tina and Jennifer are lesbians which is already frowned upon. To make it worse, they're an interracial lesbian couple. I didn't have a problem with it but being in the most racist, homophobic, sexist and prejudice place in Virginia makes it hard for us to live here peacfully.

I like being with them though. They're calm and there's rarely any violence. When violence occurs it's usually by the hands of Tina's older stepbrother, John. He hates their relationship as much as the neighbors but he has no job and has been kicked out by his parents so he deals with it.

John

John

He came to visit Tina during my first week with them. Wherever I went he was close by, I didn't like that. No one seemed to notice. He always leered at me, never spoke just stared. There were times when he rubbed against me or tried to push me near him. Tina and Jennifer weren't always around so it seem believable to them.

That was something I understood because almost everything that happens is my fault.

The biggest problem we faced was with Joanna and Kevin's dad. He could tell that I wasn't fully white especially with my tan. He let his kids do whatever they wanted to me because of that.