xxi | Blood Stained Snow

© Stephanie Anne and Dee Atkins

                  Chapter Twenty-one

Through a haze, I was almost able to make out the face above mine, green eyes full of worry and question as they tried to pull me up. I was weak, my head feeling light while my body as heavy as a rock. I was still slipping in and out of consciousness when a warm, sweet liquid hit my lips.

“Drink this. Your mother made it.” I did as I was told and downed the drink, the thick potion running down my throat, soothing the pain in my head, numbing whatever physical pain I had for a single moment, allowing me to take in the scene around me.

Cameron was a few feet ahead, throwing a punch at a man whose back was to me, this defensive position so familiar to me but I couldn’t quite pinpoint who he was. He hit the ground, rolling, coming up behind Cam in a whirlwind of snow to sink a kick to his back. Cam hit the ground hard, snow rising, allowing me to see the person behind him.

Marceus refused to meet my gaze and instead focused on Cam who was slowly standing, his deep grey eyes meeting mine for a single moment before Marceus sent him flying. Cam fell at my feet, a low groan escaping his lips. He wouldn’t get up.

“Cameron-” The people who held me - now that I could see them - had hold of both of my arms, much in the same way Cameron and the guard had earlier. I recognised them too; Caldon, a tall boy who was getting his marks within the next year, the same I time I would; and Mudon, a man who was both extremely handsome and had received his earth marks the year before. They were both capable warriors, definitely ones Marceus would choose for a mission.

But why? Cam was still at my feet, eyes closed, blood seeping into the white snow before him.

“Cam…” I only dared to whisper it as my eyes met Marceus’. I tried to rip my arms free from Caldon and Mudon’s grip, but I was unable to, but I still tried. I growled with frustration, glaring at Marceus.

It was then that Cam finally got to his feet, staggering forward, wiping the blood from his face. He snarled, breathing heavily.

“What the hell?” Cam yelled. He didn’t know. He had no idea that Marceus and the others were Ceaelie. That they had ventured out here to save me. They probably thought he was the one who hurt me. They probably thought he’d figured me out and caused this damage to me. They probably thought I was weak. Somehow that last thought scared me the most.

Marceus glared at Cameron, green eyes fierce and withholding all the hostility in the world. “Get away from her,” he snarled. “You will pay for what you have done, human.”

Cam’s eyes widened as he stared at Marceus, and I gulped, trying to free myself from the other two Ceaelie’s grasps. “You’re one of them,” Cam muttered, eyes flashing dangerously as he stepped forward, fists clenched.

Marceus didn’t hesitate to throw another punch at Cam, but the human ducked and rolled out of the way. This seemed to anger the Ceaelie warrior more, and he drew his sword suddenly. I froze, gulping and thrashing wildly in Caldon and Mudon’s hold, anger and fear tearing through me.

There was no way Cam would get out of this alive. I had to help him. I couldn’t just let him die. If he died there was no telling what the Major would do. We’d all be in trouble. We’d be on the run, forever hiding. But I pushed that thought to the back of my mind, my fear for Cameron seeping through instead.

Anger shot through me like a blazing inferno and I managed to rip my arm from Caldon’s grip, grasping his sword. “Cameron!” I yelled, making his head whip around as I threw the weapon to him. He lunged for it, catching it awkwardly. I knew he wasn’t very experienced in sword fighting, but he had to have some training at least.