ii | Regrets

© Stephanie Anne and Dee Atkins

                  Chapter Two

The journey back through the tunnels was a long one, especially since I couldn’t stop thinking about everything the Commander had told me. His words were still running through my mind, the sinking feeling in my gut still there, the whole ‘I’m going to die’ managing to find its way back into the forefront of my mind once more.

       The Commander had kept me in his office for hours, spilling over maps and charts, telling me about their world - or what he knew of it. One of the Major’s had even ventured out to bring me Mortal ‘clothing’, which included thin pants and a very short shirt. As soon as I saw it, I was disgusted. All I wanted to do was tell my brother to burn them into ash.

       But I still couldn’t help but think about Kali. Had she gone through the same thing? Been told the exact same procedure as I had? Was she afraid? Of course she wasn’t; she was Kali, the brave warrior who was going to complete her training early and receive her marks, who would have been at the ceremony with Ash and Marceus, who would have become a Captain or a Major or even a Lieutenant or a General - she was strong enough to be any. Then she would have married Marceus and they would’ve helped with the training of the lower levels.

       But Kali couldn’t do any of that, not anymore.

       My mind was overloaded to the point it felt like it’d explode at any minute, and it wasn’t a pleasant feeling. I felt nauseous. I felt sick. Ceaelie hardly ever got sick. I’d only ever been sick once or twice when I was young, but never again after those very limited times. But now that I actually had a mission, a dangerous, life threatening, important mission, I felt horrible. I just felt like I needed to sleep this whole ordeal off, but I knew I couldn’t do that. I had to train harder and faster until it was time for me to leave. I still had to tell my family, and that was making me even more nauseous.  

       And the closer and closer I got to the surface, the more and more nauseous I was becoming. So when I stepped out into the light my stomach dipped when I felt a number of searching eyes boring straight into me, making me nervous as I gulped.

       The prying eyes followed me as I made my way down the winding paths of the village. The sun beat down heavily upon me, the rays hitting my cotton clad shoulders, my swept up hair - anywhere it could to make sweat pour off of me.

       I winced as I passed a group of Newly Marked, each one of them showing off the intricate tattoos they got the day before, and I bowed my head, letting as much hair fall into place. Why me? It was an honour. It meant that I could be trusted with this information, that the Commander and the rest of the other leaders thought I would be strong enough to do this. But did I think so? Not really. Sure, I was cocky at times, but at the thought of going off to do something this dangerous, to maybe end up dead like Kali, send shivers down my spine.

       “Valia!” I turned at the call, running head first into a man’s very tanned chest. I scrunched up my nose and stepped back, rubbing my face.

       I looked up into the deep set eyes of Keenan, who wore the same determined smirk as the night before. I gave him a small smile, dropping my hand.

       “I heard you got called to see the Commander.” His brow furrowed, blue eyes trailing down the length of me, looking for anything out of the ordinary. “I just wanted to see what happened,” he ended, shrugging. A smile began at his mouth, eyes crinkling.

       I pursed my lips, eyes scanning the busy square around us, wishing for Father or Mother to appear to take me home. That way I wouldn’t have to tell Keenan anything.