v | 1922

© Stephanie Anne and Dee Atkins

                  Chapter Five

       Cam did as he said, and took me back to the inn, wishing me the best of luck on my travels. I shook my head and waited for him to leave, watching as he rounded the corner, and sighed with relief.

       “Now, what to do…” I took another sip of the tea and went back into the Inn, pulling out my room key as I went. Passing the woman who owned the Inn - Ebony, I think her name was - I stopped mid stride and doubled back, matching her pace.

       “Um, excuse me, could you tell me where I would be able to find out about the local history?” She stopped and thought, smiling for a moment before answering.

       “The local library, my dear. Would you like directions?” she asked, looking as if she really did want to help. Instead I shook my head, remembering that I had seen a sign or two around the streets. I smiled and thanked her, heading back to my room to grab a bag.

       Once I’d collected the bag with my human money and ID in it, I hurried out of the Inn and made my way down the little footpath leading to town, which I’d only just come down with Cameron. My eyes scanned the streets for signs indicating the position of the Library and when I saw one, a tiny smile lit up my face, and I followed the directions.

       Outside the library looked to be made of bricks, something my kind never used to build our houses. The building was quite large with plants of all sorts growing around the entrance and surrounding the walkway leading to the door. I slowly made my way inside and gasped at how large and spacious the room was. There were shelves upon shelves of books everywhere. I wouldn’t be able to count them all if I tried.

       Now, to find the history section.

       Unsure of where to start, I went to the front desk and waited for someone - anyone - to notice me. My patience was running thin, and I had only been in this town for a day. I felt as if I were on some sort of timer, and the clock was ticking. I could not waste my time. And this certainly was.

       I breathed out irritably and waited until a woman in her mid-forties walked up to me, lips pinched and scowling.

       “Can I help you?” she drawled, smacking her lips together. I almost snorted.

       “Yes, please. I’m looking for the history of this town. Old news clippings, maps, anything. Would you be able to point me in the right direction?” My voice dripped with sweetness, but already the old bag was killing me. She seemed to think for a moment before murmuring something that sounded like ‘follow me’, and lead me through the aisles of books, the direction we were going unknown.

       “Here we are,” she clucked, waving her hand in front of the shelves before us. “There’s all the history you’ll ever need to know. Come find me if you need anything else.”

       I nodded and scowled as she waltzed off in the direction we’d come from. Sighing, I looked at the shelves again and shook my head. This was going to take literally forever. And I didn’t have forever.

       I ran my fingertips over the dusty spines of the books and squinted to read the spines. Blowing Rock History, Top Ten Reasons To Stay - Blowing Rock, Blowing Rock, North CarolinaHistory, Histories of Blowing Rock were only a few of the better sounding ones. I pulled them off the shelves and bent down to look for more. Blowing Rock, Dating Back To The 1800’s sounded pretty good too, so I yanked that off the shelf and wandered over to a table to sit down and research.