xiii | Spirit Induced

© Stephanie Anne and Dee Atkins

                  Chapter Thirteen

    I gasped, my breathing becoming shallow and deep, my heart rate speeding up. I sat frozen with the snarling beast looming over me, drool leaking from the side of its mouth. Its deadly red eyes were focused on me, watching me, waiting for any sudden movement. Trying not to shake, I adverted my eyes, looking around the cabin.

    I got here somehow… Swallowing, I met the ferocious glare of the beast. It growled, lowering on its hind legs. Long, black claws dug into the damp wood beneath us and scraped back as it went to launch. I watched in horror, still frozen to the spot, unable to move. My muscles and tendons had gone stiff, my blood running cold.

    I’m going to die. Within a split second, the hound dove for me and I rolled away, landing on the heels of my feet. I rocked back and without looking back, I ran through the smashed door, willing the vines to grow over the hole and strengthen, making it harder for the beast to escape. I could hear its growls and the snaps of the vines even as I ran faster, going deeper into the forest.

    I turned a sharp left at the sound of oncoming footfalls and the malicious howls of the hellhound. I could almost feel its breath on the back of my neck. My breathing was ragged and frantic as my heart exceeded the normal rate. I didn’t look back. I just kept running as fast as I could, fear prickling at my senses.

        I longed to reach into my abilities and unleash my wrath on the beast but I couldn’t possibly concentrate while this ravenous beast chased me through the trees. I had no time. All I could hear was the loud footfalls of the Hellhound behind me and the inkling of more human footsteps, which I discarded as my own.

        I took a sharp turn in the trees, panting as my legs began to ache. But I couldn’t stop now. I had to keep going. I had to at least get to civilisation. Maybe once I’d reached town the hound would retreat.

        Suddenly something heavy collided with me and I gasped in fright as I tumbled to the ground, eyes widening as I looked up into the glowing red eyes of the beast once more. Rumbling growls escaped its jaws, teeth gnashing, claws extending. This was it. Death by a Hellhound. My family would be disgraced. I’d be yet another failure to the Ceaelie. Had Kali gone down this way? Had she been as scared as I was in this moment?

        The hound snarled and pounded down, but I rolled quickly to the side, hurriedly crawling away. But the hound sliced at my ankles, making me yelp in pain. It hissed a snarl and went to pounce again, but it was suddenly distracted by a loud yell from the other side of it. The beast spun, snarling, staring straight into the eyes of Cameron.

        I got to my feet and felt my stomach drop, bile rising in my throat. No. What the hell was Cam doing? He raised his hands, yelling again. My eyes widened and I wanted to say something, but the words were caught in my throat.

        The hellhound growled, circling its new threat. All I could do was stare, shocked and panicked. What on earth was he thinking? He was going to get himself killed. And it would be my fault. I couldn’t let him die for me.

        “Go, Valia!” he shouted over the roar of the hound. “Run!”

        I shook my head pathetically and watched as he started to lure the oversized dog away. But I could see the fear in his eyes, the panic. He didn’t know what would happen. He was scared. He had a right to be scared, after all. Anyone would be terrified with a gigantic beast looming over them, slavering over them, ready to pounce with razor-sharp teeth that would soon come crashing down to end lives.