vii | Beast of Shadows

© Stephanie Anne and Dee Atkins

                  Chapter Seven

       I stared blankly at the illusion as it shut off, the Commander’s face disappearing. My mouth had gone dry, my throat beginning to burn. I was breathing faster and faster. Why hadn’t he told me? Why wait until now? I was angry, and frustrated, and I once again needed to dispel my anger in something physical.

       Samanya seemed to notice this, seemed to sense what I was feeling. I could feel him come up behind me and place a reassuring hand on my shoulder.

       “Valia, I will train you to be able to fight Major Winchester. I will train you to be able to defeat our enemies and save our race.” He paused and looked at me, waiting for something. He believed in me, I could tell. He believed that I could do something.

       I stepped away from the tree, unable to look at it again. Samanya took me into the barn, showed me to a small room that had training gear from Cellatania. I shifted through the different clothing, allowing myself sometime to get ready. I needed to train. I needed to fight. I was sick of learning about these humans, what they could do and what they were capable of. I wanted to do something that would benefit myself and my people.

       I needed to win.

       I changed into a pair of cotton pants and tunic, leaving the leather vest behind. I wrapped my weapons belt around my waist, pulled on the leather boots and wound my hair into a bun. It was then, in that moment, I felt like I was at home, about to set off to training with Marceus. It felt normal.

       I took a deep breath in and walked out of the room, meeting Samanya at the door to the barn. He waited there with two katanas, and it made me wish I hadn’t left my own blade in the woods.

       He handed one to me and I flipped it in my hand, feeling the weight of the blade, imagining it as an extension of my arm.

       “Are you ready?” he asked, walking out to the open field, standing straight with his blade before him.

       I smiled in a way I hadn’t for a long time and spun the katana in my hand, gripping the cold metal hilt tightly and moving into a defensive stance. My eyes roamed over the intricate blade momentarily before I looked up into the shining golden eyes of Samanya. Without giving me even a second to adjust he swung.  

       I gasped, jumping backwards just in time. His sword made a whooshing sound as it passed through the air where I’d previously been standing. And that made me more determined to win.

       A devious smile lit up my face as I spun and forced my katana down. Samanya blocked immediately, making me more determined than ever. We both sent each other blows, each scoring hits on one another. I knew Samanya was taking it slow at first so I’d get used to fighting again, but after a while he gave it all he had.

       He swung multiple times. I gasped and ducked under the blows, rolling to the side when he tried to hit me again. I swung my katana up in an arc, which he blocked again, making me growl and jump to my feet again. A hiss escaped my lips as I swung at him again.

       “You need to pace yourself, Valia,” Samanya scolded. “Take your time. If you just swing madly, the enemy is sure to get in vital blows.” As if to prove his point he stabbed forward, stopping just before it sunk through me. I gulped and nodded, backing up again.

       I inhaled a deep breath to calm myself before holding my blade up in defence. Samanya stepped forward and swung. This time I was able to block effectively before he swung again. I successfully blocked multiple blows and I could tell he was growing proud of me for slowing down enough to calculate the opponents next move.