xx | A Beautiful Death

© Stephanie Anne and Dee Atkins

                  Chapter Twenty

       “Ah.” I hissed, my hand going to my chest, pressing down over the searing pain. It was the first thing I had said the entire ride. But the pain was real, making me close my eyes to try and block out the burning of my skin.

       Cameron hadn’t heard, which I suppose was lucky. He concentrated on the icy road ahead, the soft sound of ‘Christmas Carols’ playing around us, blocking out any awkwardness. It was good, but also annoying, the high, chirpy voices giving me a headache.

       Of course, Cameron hadn’t said a thing since talking to his father, and I was somewhat glad. I was expecting him to yell at me, throw me out of the vehicle as soon as the base was out of site, maybe even kill me. But his silence - the sudden calm that had washed over him - scared me even more. It gave way to even more possibilities, ones that frightened me.

       But the burning would not cease.

       Slowly, I removed my hand, glancing down at the long, blistering cut that stretched across my chest. I felt sick, bile rising in my throat and I covered my mouth. But I hid all this from Cameron, who shot me a quick glance before averting his eyes once more.

       I knew someone would have to break this horrible silence eventually, and I also knew Cam wasn’t going to speak any time soon. So it was up to me. A million questions shot through my brain, but the searing pain was slowly crushing them. Why hadn’t he told his father about me? Why had he protected me? Why didn’t he try to get rid of me faster now that he had the chance? Why did he think ignoring me would make everything better? Why? Why? Why?

       “Why didn’t you turn me in?” I whispered finally, making Cam shoot another quick glance at me, startled that I’d spoken. His eyes flickered over my face momentarily before he refocused on the slippery road. He remained silent. “Why?”

       He sighed. “Because.”

       “Because why?” I persisted, making him exhale loudly, jaw clenching, hands tightening on the wheel of the car.

       “Just because,” he muttered. His annoyance at my questions seemed to be evident in his strained voice and in his slight twitches. I just rolled my eyes at his brief, and very unhelpful answers to my questions.

       “Why?” I asked again. “Cameron-” But before I could say any more my chest began to burn again, and this time worse.

       It felt as if a thousand daggers were being plunged into my skin; as if someone was slowly letting a burning flame consume my body; as if something was stretching and yanking at my skin from within my body. I heard myself gasp and moan in pain, touching the wound lightly, seeing just how much it was beginning to blister. Red welts had begun appearing more frequently, dancing up my chest and shoulder, long cuts etched into my skin.

       Cameron looked over from the noises I’d made and his eyes widened. I heard him gasp and stare at the wound for a while before he looked into my eyes. In his moment of distraction when he hadn’t been watching the road suddenly something large jumped out in front of the car, and I let out a yell of surprise. Cam looked, but was too late to do much.

       He steered the car to the side, making us swerve completely off the road, tumbling over the icy hill and slamming into the bank with a shattering crash. Glass flew everywhere, the whole front of the car smashing inwards, crushing us inside. My head slammed down on the dash with a blinding force, making stars swim before my eyes and darkness start to consume my vision. But I refused to let it take me under.