xv | Shattering Boundaries

© Stephanie Anne and Dee Atkins

                  Chapter Fifteen

        It’d been a couple of days since my run in with Daniel, but I couldn’t stop thinking about what he’d said. He knew. He knew what I was, and I knew he wouldn’t relent until I admitted it. Little did he know, I was the most stubborn person I know. And I wouldn’t be giving up what I was, or what I had gathered.

        That didn’t stop me from worrying that the existence of my entire race may be lying in the palm of my hands. It didn’t stop me from worrying that it was only going to be a matter of time before Daniel came after me again. But Daniel wasn’t the only thing I was worried about. He was the least of my problems.

        They will arise. Those three simple words rang through my head, dismembering my thoughts. I still didn’t know what to think about it. And frankly, I didn’t want to think about it. I didn’t want to wonder what it meant, what Winchester wanted from me. I just wanted to forget. And what better way than gaining Cameron’s trust. If I could gain the Major’s son’s trust perhaps I could gain more information about Ellasyna, about what he had planned for the Ceaelie.

        Warm water ran down my aching body. The run I had just gone on through the forest was refreshing, distracting even. It helped me immensely, allowing me to escape my thoughts. But I was still worried. Samanya was still missing, and I remembered how yesterday police had shown up at the barn, inspecting it. I had stayed hidden, but it was obvious - they had no leads.

        I turned off the tap and stood there, naked, running my hands through my hair. It was one thing to decide to get close to Cam, another to actually go through with it. I really had no way of getting in contact with him, and it was quite irritating.

        I flung a towel around my body, another over my head to dry my hair and stepped out of the warm bathroom, humming a familiar tune to myself. I almost dropped my towel when I heard a cough.

        Cameron stood there, eyes trailing my body briefly before he averted his gaze, ashamed. I let out a gasp and made sure to hold my towel securely. And when I spoke it sounded like I was a dying, sputtering engine.

        “W-What are you doing here? W-Why are you in my room? Oh my God. This is so embarrassing.” I could feel my cheeks heating up in my embarrassment, and shock.

        “I-I, uh, I came to ask if you wanted to grab a coffee, or something,” he said, clearing his throat, eyes still averted from me.

        “You couldn’t have waited and knocked before entering?” I hissed, eyes wide.

        He finally looked at me and smiled slightly. “I did. But you didn’t answer.”

        “Well, usually, when nobody answers it means they’re not home, and you shouldn’t just come in. It's rude."

        He smirked, but only slightly. "Well, I apologise for the inconvenience. Now get dressed. I'm taking you out."

        I grumbled in annoyance, the only reply he was going to receive, and grabbed some clothes before going back into the bathroom and changing. This is exactly what you wanted, okay? Don’t screw it up. I shook out my wet hair, water droplets flying everywhere. Throwing my hair up into a bun, I walked out, watching Cam as he paced the room.

        He stopped and stared, lips parted. It was almost like he was surprised that I left the bathroom, that this meant I was going to join him for coffee. So I smiled at him.