Engagement (15)

Monday soon came round and the rest of my weekend was the same as always. Sunday was spent in church and for the first time in a long time we were actually all there. We had our Sunday dinner together and it had been nice catching up with some siblings I hadn't seen in a few days. 

Monday was back to business. It was around 3pm in the afternoon and we were all tired and really warm. The spike of summer had come in the last week and the air conditioning was barely working. 

"We have to get that fixed." Tara said as she fanned herself from behind her desk. 

"I know right, we can only survive with this dusty fan for so long." I complained and also fanned myself. 

"Delilah, Tara may you come into my office." Ida called on the intercom and we both got up. We put on our suit jackets and heels - to say we got comfortable was to say the least and we headed into her office. 

We took seats in front of her desk and she looked away from her iMac and smiled at us. 

"I saw you made a selection Delilah for the publishing of our next diverse lit writer. Annabelle Bassey?" She asked and I nodded. "And why did you choose her?" She asked and I looked at her surprised but quickly recovered. 

"For what we are looking for she seems like the perfect fit. She's in the age bracket of 21-25 and she writes from a characters perspective which I don't think many voices to. She narrates the black voice differently and doesn't write the stereotypical love stories which we've seen in other books." I said and Ida nodded. 

"Good pitch, I looked over her work to and I do like it. She's going to come in tomorrow at 10:30am, be ready to interview her." Ida finished and I squeaked. 

"Me?" I asked. 

Ida laughed and so did Tara. "Don't worry Tara will be there to talk you through the interview process and what we look for. There'll be a set of questions you basically have to follow and they're like your guidance." She said and I smiled and nodded. 

"Okay thank you so much." I smiled. 

"Tara may you give me a moment, I need to talk to Delilah alone." She said and I swallowed slightly, I was worried. Had I done something wrong? 

Tara looked at me with a 'good luck' face and tottled out, I knew she was heading to the kitchen to find out the latest weekend gossip and not back to the office until I got there. 

"Delilah I have to tell you something that I can only tell you." Ida said nervously and now I was getting nervous. 

"Okay go, I'm ready." I fake smiled, pretending to be calm. 

"I'm coming for dinner today at your house." She smirked. 

"No you're not!" I practically screamed and then grinned. 

"I totally am." She grinned even bigger. 

I stood up and hugged her across the desk. Then I looked puzzled, "so my brother was just going to show up with you and be like hello I'm back with Ida? What a douche." I said and Ida laughed. 

"You know what he's like, he hates attention." She shrugged. 

Just then my phone chimed with a text, 'Be home on time today dweeb. - Isa' He said and I just sent him a wink face. I knew he'd be lowkey paranoid if I knew anything. 

"So when did it officially happen?" I giggled. 

"This is office hours Lilah, you going to have to wait till after." She teased and I shook my head. 

"You wrong for that." I said and we both laughed. 

"Go and prepare for your interview, I'll see you later." She said and we hugged again and I headed for the kitchen.