Match Day (4)

"So Mason's game is tomorrow, think you're going to go?" Jacqui asked as she whisked the eggs.

"Honestly do you think he'd want me to be there?" I asked as I buttered the tray. We were making home made brownies in her kitchen - thanks to Jacqui's pregnancy craving.

"I think he would. It's his first game that you're back for and you use to go to all the others." She poured in the sugar and melted the chocolate.

"That was three years ago Jacqui. We aren't teenagers anymore." I confirmed and handed her the melted chocolate.

"Yup but feelings like that don't just die." She said and I swallowed trying not to remember them. The story with Mason and I was complicated.

"I guess I'll see what I'm doing." She poured everything in and whisked.

"Girl you don't have no plans, you have no friends here, we are your friends." She said and I laughed. It was true, I was always the quiet type and didn't really go beyond the Rodriguez' estate. I mean everything I needed was there, including people.

"But do you think Derek and Theo are going to be there?" My face creased as I handed her the melted butter.

"Of course. Theo still plays and most of his boys are coming home from school. They'll definitely be there." She said and anxiety rose slightly in my chest as I thought about seeing my high school peers. I'd left the country on purpose to avoid all of them and hope to never see them again. I wasn't sure what my plan was but clearly it didn't work.

"I'll see." Was all I said and rolled up my sleeves.

"You can't avoid them forever." My sister said and I nodded. That was one of the reasons I loved Jacqui, She was blunt and honest and I needed a voice like her in my life.

"How's Parker?" I took a seat on one of the bar stools.

"He's good. He should be home any minute." She said and placed her hand on her bump and I smiled. "Parker is really one of a kind to get with someone like me." She smiled and nodded. I know Jacqui had been through a lot. Being the oldest she definitely had some troubled teens and rebelled a lot. She'd got into a lot of trouble and could have died at several points in her life. When she was 24 she'd turned over a new leaf, became a Christian and married Parker a year later. They'd known each other since 18 but were friends, although I think Parker had always liked her.

"You've both had your ups and downs but you've made it this far and you're about to have a baby! I honestly cant wait to spoil him/her." I said.

"And I'm still pissed that you missed my wedding. Don't think I've forgotten." She faked angry.

I bit my lip, "I do apologise for my stupidness. It really broke my heart not being there. Malcolm definitely FaceTimed me in when he could." I said and she laughed.

Just then Parker bust through the door carrying some flowers and his briefcase.

"Hey baby," he hugged her and handed her the bunch of white roses. "For you." He smiled and kissed her.

She grinned and kissed him back. "Thank you." She took them and put them in water.

"And for you milady." Parker said as he appeared with a box of Belgium chocolate from his briefcase which were my favourite.

"Thank you Parker, you're the best." I squeezed.

"I knew you were over, couldn't leave my little sister out." He ruffled my afro and I pretended to bite him.

"Don't touch her hair, do you know what it takes to get perfect twist outs?" Jacqui joked and I laughed.

"Exactly, otherwise you'll come and twist it up for me." I said as I opened my box of chocolate and started eating.