The Human Condition Of Nephilims

“But my parents were Circle members,” Jace couldn't hide the doubt in his voice.

“As were so many others and they're still buried here. Everything we found out clearly proves your parents realized who and how Valentine really was and opposed him then. They knew in how much danger this would put them and yet they still did it. Of course they made a mistake when they followed him, a horrible mistake but as soon as they knew, they tried to correct it. Jace, we have both read their journals, we've seen the documents Valentine had kept. There is proof the raid in which your father was killed had been set up by Valentine. He knew it would turn more people against him when even his second in command opposed him. Also, Valentine and Hodge knew how easy it would be to make people believe, your mother killed herself. When I asked Alec if it was possible to move their graves, we agreed to look again through all documentation. If we would have found the slightest doubt we wouldn't have done it. Jace, please look at me. I had thought about this for a long time and it took me just as much time to finally find the courage to ask Alec for this favor. I know that all of you were raised with a much different set of values but being part angel doesn't mean that people wouldn't make mistakes or fall for false promises. And your parents were no different. I guess, the terms of the human condition also applies to Nephilims.”

“They would have loved you so much.”

“And I would have loved to meet them.”

“Probably your or my mom would have quite constantly followed me around with a sketchbook.”

Both of them chuckled a bit before Jace leaned into the touch of her hand.

“Are you okay?”

“Normally that's my text but I am though I'm overwhelmed.”

“Is there anything I can do?”

“You did more than I could have ever asked for,” Jace said before he wrapped his arms Clary's waist and kissed her.

“I don't know if it's appropriate to kiss in front of your dead ancestors.”

“As much as I know about them they had quite a soft spot for unconventional behavior.  But let's go back.”

“Yeah, let's go home.”

“To the institute? But what about dinner?”

“I meant the mansion.”

“Does that mean you consider it your home?”

“I do but I'm wondering why you sound so surprised about it. Just because I said I didn't want to move yet doesn't mean, the mansion is less of a home for me.”

They went back to the mansion to enjoy a calm evening there. They had snuggled up in the living room after dinner.

“I guess, you won't tell me much about your appointment today.”

“I won't. Partly because I can't allow myself to give away anything about my gown and I don't want to bore you with details about what bridesmaids are going to wear. But there's one thing I'd like to ask you.”

“What is it?”

“Would you agree to a tailor made suit?”

“Clary, you can only sketch me when I'm asleep. What makes you think I could go through that?”

“I know but I'd totally understand if you decline but don't you want to look as dashing as possible?”

“Are you trying to taunt my vanity to agree?”

“Does it appear like this to you?” Clary jested.

“A bit.”

“On top of looking absolutely gorgeous you would make me very happy.”