A Familiar Feeling Of Distrust And Guilt

Nearly a week later Izzy was on her way to the infirmary. She wanted to talk to Clary who had refused to leave Jace's side ever since she had gotten there.

Whenever someone had asked her to retreat to their room or to get some rest, she stubbornly shook her head, telling people she was right where she belonged. 

Izzy found her best friend and parabatai crouched into a chair with her sketchbook.

“You look absolutely terrible, Clary.”

“It's always nice to see you too, Izzy..”

“When was the last time you've slept properly?”

“Don't try to convince me to go back to our room to sleep. I'll stay here until Jace and I will leave this room here together.”

“I know but I really don't know why someone hasn't brought you a spare bed.”

“I don't need it. When I sleep I snuggle up to him and during the day I'm comfortable with this chair.”

“That doesn't look comfortable at all.”

“I don't care. I'm fine.”

“We both know, you aren't but I know you well enough to realize, it'd be futile trying to convince you to leave. I wanted to talk to you about something.”

“What is it?”

“I just come back from the City of Bones. Consul Penhallow had ordered another interrogation.”

“Another one? As far as I know, this must have been the third then.”

“It was. And I witnessed the third one.”

“But why so many? If they used the Soul Sword, he must have confessed by now.”

“That's the point. He didn't. Jonathan insists, he didn't do it.”

“That's not possible. When I was on trial, I wanted to hide the real reason why Jace was possessed and I couldn't. Did they check if the Sword is intact?”

“They did and it worked as intended. We have no explanation. Do you think, there might be something demonic in him left which could manipulate the sword?”

“If there was, the sword would have killed him and you told me personally a few months back that the tests showed, it was all gone.”

“Could there be another way to manipulate it?”

“I don't think so.”

“Clary, you know what that means.”

“As much as I would like to believe, it wasn't him but the security tapes say something different. And if it had been a Ravener, we would have found traces.”

“Would you talk to him? You know how to access his memories and you did it before. I doubt, he would deceive you.”

“But what if he's possible of doing so? I can't talk to him.”

“Clary, I know you're hurt and I understand that but if Jonathan is innocent...”

“What if he isn't and deceives me once again?”

“Do you really think, he would do this? I thought, if he really wanted to kill Jace, there would have been plenty opportunities to do so before. Jonathan knows that there are cameras in the hallway.”

“Are you actually defending him?”

“I'm asking you to trust your gut feeling. Clary, he's your brother. You always defended him. Do you truly think, he would hurt you like that?”