The Calm Of An Early Morning Thought

A stream of cold air woke Jace up. The first thing he saw was Clary standing on the balcony looking out into the garden only wrapped in her sheets. The early morning sun added a soft glow to her skin and let her hair appear more fiery.

Whenever he had thought, she couldn't appear more beautiful to him, Clary managed to surpass his expectations. 

Clary had been woken up earlier by sunrise. She had seen the sun going up over the outer skirts of the Brocelind Forest. The peaceful feeling and the calm were so different than Brooklyn she decided to step out.

The cold of the morning kinda hit her a bit but she enjoyed the unusual setting way too much to go back inside. She took a deep breath while realizing she had rarely experienced such a calm morning in a long time.

A smile crept on her face when she felt Jace wrapping his arms around her waist from behind. Clary closed her eyes when he softly kissed the junction between her neck and her shoulder. 

“Good morning,” he murmured into her ear, “So beautiful.”

“Morning. Yeah, the sunrise is wonderful.”

“I didn't particularly mean the sunrise. You're beautiful in this light.”

“Charmer.”

“I'm serious. Aren't you cold?”

“A bit.”

“Come back inside?”

“Can we look at the garden later? We forgot to do that yesterday.”

“Sure. Though I had thought you would want to spend the day in the greenhouse.”

Clary turned around in his embrace and wrapped her arms around his neck to smile at him. 

“What's up, Red?”

“I just love to look at you especially when you look a bit disheveled from sleep.”

“Just as you do.”

Clary shivered a bit in his arms and tried to snuggle deeper into him. 

“Maybe you should have dressed more properly before you went out.”

“Yeah probably.”

“Let's get you back inside.”

While trying to make her way back Clary stumbled over the sheets. But before she could fall down Jace caught her.

“Hey, hey, careful. I know you're probably excited to snuggle up to me again but don't trip over yourself.”

Jace picked her up and carried her back inside despite her not so serious protests.

“I could have walked back inside,” she pouted when she was laid back down on the bed. 

“I've seen that when you stumbled.”

“Didn't you promise me snuggles? And I still feel cold.”

Clary chuckled when Jace first pulled the covers over them and then her into him.

“I'm sorry for last night.”

“About what?” she asked.

“When I asked you about Simon.”

“You don't need to. We never really talked about it.”

“Do you want to know...”

“If you had anything with Simon? I'm pretty sure he would have told me.”

“No, I mean...”

“Your book club?”

Jace didn't answer and only nodded while trying to avoid her gaze.