The Long Road To Normalcy

Jace paced quite restlessly through the living room of the mansion, waiting for Clary to return. When he heard the front door he walked towards her.

"Hey, how was it?"

"Before we talk, can you just hold me for a moment?"

Jace wrapped his arms around her and kissed the top of her head.

"I'm glad you came home."

"Me too. And I could really use a drink. Is it appropriate to drink now?"

"I can check in which part of the world it is late enough for a happy hour."

"I'm sure, there is one at least."

"Should I cancel the dinner invitation?"

Clary looked up from having her head buried on his chest and shook her head.

"No, please don't. I'm looking much forward to a distraction. Where's the Chairman?"

"Sprawled out on the bed upstairs."

"That sounds familiar."

Jace led her to the living room to make her sit down on the couch before he poured both of them a whiskey. Clary downed the whiskey and asked Jace for a refill.

"Do you want to talk about it now?"

"You were right. She didn't really want to listen and she tried to get under my skin. Despite all the information she had access to, she still believes in what her mom told her. I tried to reason with her, explained to her what we all experienced but it was futile."

"How do you feel?"

"A part of me is sad because she's a part of my family nonetheless but I've learned, I can't save everyone. Amberlyn has chosen what she wants to believe and no matter how hard I try I most likely won't change it. It's hard to acknowledge it but if she ever gets out, she would try to follow Valentine's footsteps."

"How did she try to get under your skin?"

"She tried to question my moral compass, trying to play me off as a hypocrite because I killed people myself and how I treated Jonathan."

"I'm sorry. But you know that she's wrong about you."

Clary nodded and leaned onto his shoulder.

"That was when I knew I had to let it go."

"You know, I was afraid to let you talk to her because I thought, you might go out of your way to save her, especially now that you and Jonathan aren't on the best terms"

"I was aware of it that she's completely different to Jonathan. Contrary to Jonathan she had a choice to make, she could decide what she wanted to believe and act on it. She had the truth at hand but she dismissed it. Do I wish she would have listened? Of course I do but it's not up to me to change her mind."

"Is there anything I can do?"

"No, except for one thing. I'm sure this topic will come back up but tonight I just want an evening to make my off of things."

"I'm sure, we'll manage that."

"Good, I'm going to take a shower. Every time I was at the City of Bones I feel like I smell like death and despair."

Clary squealed when Jace sniffled on her neck.

"No death and despair."

"I only said I feel like it."

"Mind if I join you?"

"What?"

"You said you wanted me to take your mind off of things and..."