A Birthday Surprise

A little head's up:

The bigger part of this chapter had been already published as an one shot under the same title. But I thought, it fits to include it in here cause it seems more comfortable than to direct you to another story. I hope, you'll enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing it. I also wanted to thank you all for your continued support and love, you're giving to this piece. XX

 XX

A few hours later Clary went to Izzy's office.

“Iz, do you have a moment?”

“For my Parabatai? Come in.”

“First of all thank you for the takeout. It was the perfect late breakfast.”

“You would eat coconut pancakes even in the middle of the night. But you probably don't want to talk about pancakes.”

“No, I have to ask a favor of you.”

“Which one?”

“Can you keep Jace busy for the next two and a half weeks?”

“Uhm sure, but isn't that mostly your job?”

“Izzy...”

“Just kidding, relax.”

“I need to keep him away from the mansion.”

“Is this about his birthday present?”

“Yes, the plan is coming to action and the last thing I need is to spoil it because he might see something when we spend the weekends there.”

“I'm really curious and you don't want to tell me what it is?”

“Izzy, I love you to bits and pieces but you can barely keep a secret.”

“So, you want me to send Jace onto as much missions, patrols and training sessions as possible.”

“Yeah but without making it too obvious. So I'm ready to be included in some of it.”

“Of course not. You're lucky that a lot of people are being ordered to attend special training missions in Idris, so it makes sense. Do you really need that much time?”

“Yeah, I do. And I can only hope everything will be finished right on time.”

“Sounds if you started planning pretty late?”

“To be honest, I had different plans but changed them because I got a better idea.”

“I'm really curious.”

“Izzy, I would love to tell you but you're too much of a chatty person.”

“And if I swear by Simon's life?”

“Think again if that makes sense to you.”

“Damn it. But I'll do my best to keep Jace as busy as possible.”

“Thank you. I really appreciate it.”

“You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?”

“No, it's all good.”

Izzy had kept her word and Jace found himself confronted with a lot of tasks. It was two days before his birthday when he came back from another patrol. Clary sat on the ground, chasing Chairman Meow around with one of his favorite feather toys. She looked up when Jace came into the room and let his gear clatter to the ground carelessly, startling her and the cat.

“5 more minutes of this awfully boring patrol and I would have asked a warlock to summon some demons just to have something to do. I understand that people need to be trained and all that but these last two weeks felt like hell.”

“But luckily you're off tomorrow and we can spend some quality time at the mansion.”

“Finally. Whoever made the plans should have at least given me more patrols together with you.”

“It's too late to complain now.”

Jace bent down to her and kissed her.

“I know. I'll go to take a shower.”

“Do you want me to join?”

“Are you seriously asking?”

“I am. I mean, you said the last two were exhausting and you're older than me. Maybe I should start to be more considerate towards you.”

“What? You're so going to regret this.”

“Oh, really? Do you seriously think, you'll be able to catch me?”

“Anytime.”

Clary quickly jumped to her feet and tried to dart out of the room. She dodged Jace and ran out onto the hallway. He caught up to her quickly and grabbed her to throw her over his shoulder despite her protests.

“Jace, let me down.”

“No way.  You have been captured as prey.”

“I'm what? I'll show you what prey is...”

“I'm curious how you're going to manage this because right now you're just as threatening as a little lamb.”

“They can kick.”

“Then maybe I'll have to tie you up.”

“You wouldn't...”

“Try me.”

2 days later.