Shopping Insecurities

“Izzy, do you think, it's a smart idea to go shopping just one day before NYE?” Clary asked while flopping down onto the couch in her best friend's office.

“We're not conventionally shopping. Magnus said, he knows the perfect place to find the perfect dress for tomorrow night.”

“Why do we have to go shopping anyway?”

“Because the party has a rather formal dress code and I don't want anyone joining in covered in ichor.”

“Okay, that makes sense.”

The door opened and Magnus' head popped in.

“Are my girls ready for shopping?”

“We were just waiting for you.”

“Then get up and let's leave.”

“Where we're headed?”

“You'll see soon enough.”

A short while later they were in front of a small boutique in Chelsea.

“This is it.”

“How do you know this place?” Izzy asked curiously.

“Letitia, the owner is also a warlock. We've known each other for a quite a while now.”

“Which means you know her for much longer than just one mundane lifetime.”

“I met her somewhere around in the 1820s when she worked as a seamstress.”

“But it looks like it is closed,” Clary mused.

“She only opens for appointments,” Magnus said with a smile and knocked on the door.

Despite having spent quite some time with Warlocks Clary and Izzy found themselves surprised to see a woman opening the door who didn't look a day older than 25.

“Magnus, right on time as always. How can I help you?”

“Leticia dear, it's always a pleasure to see you but this appointment is not for me but for these beauties here.”

“Clary Fairchild and Isabelle Lightwood, I rarely have Shadowhunters as customers.”

“We hope, that's not a problem.”

“Why would it be? I just wanted to point out that your kind has a rather specific and limited dress code. But how can I help? Let me guess, you need something for New Year's Eve.”

“I know, we're pretty last minute but...”

“Darling, last minute is 5 minutes before a party and even then I'd be able to help you. Drinks anyone?”

“You know us way too well,” Magnus chuckled.

“Can we look around?”

“No, actually the dresses will come flying to you. Of course you can look around. If you need help, just say something. But first enjoy your Appletini.”

“Letitia is quite known for them.”

After two rounds of drinks Clary and Izzy followed Letitia into the depths of her shop to look for dresses.

“How should I be able to pick one? But I think, I'm going for a red one,” Izzy sighed, “What are you looking for?”

“I don't know. These are all gorgeous but I don't see myself in them.”

“Clary, sometimes you don't seem to realize how drop dead gorgeous you are. “

“I know I should have let go of the insecure girl who got bullied at school.”

“They would for sure regret their words if they could see you now.”

“It was a different life.”

“Exactly. Come, let's find you a dress to embrace the kickass woman you are.”

“Sorry, my dears, I couldn't help but overhear your conversation and I think, I have the perfect dress for you. I only need to remember where to find it.”

“It's okay. I'll help Izzy in the meantime to find something.”

“Give me a minute.”

A short while later Letitia came back.

“I knew that one day someone would come in being perfect for this 1930s vintage piece because it is such a small size.”

“Clary, this is gorgeous. You definitely have to try it on at least.”

It was an icy green long silk dress with spaghetti straps and a low back. It had a deep waterfall collar in the front. The dress had a small train in the back which she could attach to her wrist.

“If you want there's a matching short embroidered velvet cape in the same color. But at first you try on the dress,” she said and shoved the dress into Clary's arms before she turned to Izzy, “And what about you?”

“I think, I've found my outfit,” Izzy chuckled excited and made her way to the changing rooms, “Clary, get your butt over here and get into that damn dress.”

“Don't be so pushy.”

“I'm not. But I have definitely found my look for the party.”

“Can I see?”

Izzy came out of the changing room. She wore a slim cut, flower embroidered deep red chiffon gown with a sweetheart neckline and a mid thigh slit.

“Wow, this is gorgeous. Simon will definitely love it though I fear he might react like a cartoon character. The color looks gorgeous on you. You look like a hotter real life version of Jessica Rabbit.”

“I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way. I'm so glad you showed me that movie when we had a girls night.”

“I loved it when I was little. One year for Halloween Simon had a Roger Rabbit costume. And he panics like him sometimes.”

“That's true. And I definitely have matching lipstick I guess. But I want to see you in that dress,” Izzy chuckled and shoved Clary into another changing room.

“Where's biscuit?” Magnus asked looking around.

“Finally in the changing room, trying on a gorgeous dress.”

“And you look amazing, Isabelle. That is definitely your color.”

“I know.”

“Where is our lovely shy deer?” Letitia asked.

“Trying on the dress.”

“I'm sure it will be perfect for her. The dress has been here for quite some time.”

They all fell silent when Clary came out of the changing room.

“Not good?”

“Biscuit, this is your dress.”

“I'm not too pale for the color?”

“Absolutely not. It compliments your eyes and your hair looks even more fiery.”

“And it fits you like a glove. Here, try it with the short cape. It won't keep you that warm but you can at least cover up a bit if you're outside.”

“Don't worry my dear, she has someone to keep her warm.”

“Seems it's safe to say, you're equipped for tomorrow's festivities.”

“I really don't know. Isn't this too much?”

“No, it's not.”

“Well, then...,” she sighed and looked at the price tag, “As much as I love this dress but this is way out of my range.”

“Honey, you don't really think I would take money from you, do you?”

“But...?”

“No buts. First of all you're close friends of Magnus and this business here is more of a hobby. I wouldn't open only for appointments if I'd pay my bills with this. Now, hand me these dresses. I'll pack them up for you while Magnus makes us another round of drinks.”

After changing back into their normal clothes they sat down on the couch to have another Appletini. They spent another two hours with a lot of gossip Letitia and Magnus had to offer.

Clary felt quite tipsy when she came back to the institute. She opened the door to their room, ready to tell him all the gossip she heard but fell silent when she saw him sitting at this desk.

“Hey, what are you up to?” she asked while closing the door behind her.

Jace turned around to her and the worried expression on his face changed into a smile.

“Another failed attempt of writing my wedding vow. Do you know this feeling when something sounds great in your head but as soon as you write it down, it sounds just not right?”

“Way too well,” Clary answered and walked over to him to kiss him while Jace pulled her onto his lap.

“And how was your shopping trip?”

“Good. We found dresses.”

“And cocktails apparently.”

“Appletinis.”

“Can I see the dress?”

“No, it will be a surprise. Izzy won't show hers to Simon either.”

“And I thought, only wedding gowns have to be kept secret?”

“That's true but these ones are really special.”

“No matter what you'll wear, you'll look beautiful.”

“I told Izzy, I didn't need to go shopping but you know how she is. Can I help you with that?” she pointed at the crumpled up pieces of paper.

“No, I'll get through it. Maybe I'm just trying too hard and there is still time.”

“I don't know if it's of any consolation but I'm also not that far with mine. I know what I want to say but all the words just seem wrong.”

“Maybe we should do it spontaneously then.”

“Oh gosh, please no. I'd probably so nervous that I'll only be a rambling mess.”

“And even then you'd be perfect.”

“Hear hear, Prince Charming.”

“How many drinks did you have?”

“I don't know to be honest. Magnus took us to this amazing small shop in Chelsea. The owner is another warlock and they know each other since the 1820s. There were so many beautiful dresses from so many different eras. And they had so much gossip to share.”

“Sounds like an interesting late morning.”

“It definitely was. But now I feel like I'm starving.”

“Do you want me to cook for you or do you want to go out?”

“Let's go out. I always wanted to check out that little restaurant Magnus had recommended.”

“Where is it?”

“Just around the corner from Jonathan's old apartment.”

“I remember, he was kinda swooning over their Dim Sums. Then let's go there.”