An Improvidently Slip And A Spoiled Secret

“Do you remember how I asked you if you remembered the first time we kissed?”

“I do and as I told you back then I could never forget it. But why you're asking?”

“The paintings you showed at your exhibition... why did you paint them?”

“All that time I had these weird dreams which didn't make any sense and I felt as if I had to remember things I couldn't grab. It was like trying to catch snowflakes, the moment I thought I could touch it, it was gone. The only way to work through it was to paint what I felt. When I regained my memories and look at the paintings I had cataloged, it hit me that I painted significant moments of the life I couldn't remember and mostly it were things about us. I guess, I tried subconsciously to find my way back to myself, to you.”

“Whenever you were painting and you looked like if you tried to remember or simply realize what these meant to you, I wanted so often to walk up to you and tell you who you really were.”

“These fragments I still remembered, maybe it's the bond we shared through Ithuriel's blood. He had always been kinda protective of us, maybe that ensured somehow we wouldn't lose each other completely. Do you think, that's possible?”

“I don't know but whatever it was... I'm thankful for it.”

“Isn't it weird to talk about me returning to you in the same city you asked me to come back to you when I was under the influence of Jonathan?”

“I couldn't think of a more fitting place.”

“It doesn't feel weird to you?”

“Considering how our lives went you still think, something is weird?”

Meanwhile in the New York Institute.

Izzy had finished up some paperwork and was ready to leave. She looked at her phone to check if Simon had sent her a message when he'd be back for dinner but instead she found a message from Clary. When she saw the photo, she immediately called Simon.

“I'm sorry. I'm still waiting for our order at Taki's. It's pretty crowded in here.”

“That's not important right now.”

“Is something wrong?”

“Did you receive a message from Clary?”

“Yeah, but I didn't have to open it by now. Are they in trouble?”

“Not right now but if they come back.”

“What do you mean?”

“Wait a second. I'm getting another call. It's Magnus.”

“Can you tell me what is going on?” Simon asked.

“Look at the photo she sent us and call me back.”

“I don't get why you're so upset about it but fine...,” Simon said but only heard Izzy hanging up on him.

“Magnus, what can I do for you?”

“I highly assume you also received biscuit's message.”

“If you want to ask me if I've seen the same as you have... the answer is a clear yes and I can't believe, she didn't tell me. I'm her best friend, she'll be my Parabatai, I want to organize her bachelorette party and she doesn't tell me she and my brother are engaged now?”

“Izzy, I love you and not only because you're my sister in law but your reaction right now is probably the reason biscuit didn't tell you upfront.”

“As if I would have bothered them in the same second.”

“Let's be honest. You would have. And I think, she didn't plan to share the news this way.”

“I can't believe, Jace didn't tell me, he wanted to propose to her. I'm his sister and I'm the one who had been always supportive of this relationship.”

“I know but after all they went through I understand why they wanted this moment for themselves and not share this immediately. Izzy, promise me you won't call her and bother her with any questions. Biscuit isn't probably aware of it, she gave away the news.”

“I promise though it is hard. I get to plan another wedding.”

“My dear, you know that officially you don't even know about the engagement?”

“I know but I have a copy of Clary's wedding master plan.”

“Okay, no call, no preparations in advance, do you hear me?”

“Fine... if I have to... Do you know if Jace had talked to Alec about it?”

“No and if he did, he didn't tell me.”

“You think, he would keep that from you?”

“I don't know but they're Parabatai. I only know Jace reacted very strangely when I teased him about proposal ideas. That was a telltale sign, he was definitely thinking about it.”

“And you didn't tell Alec?”

“Of course I did. He wasn't surprised Jace might propose any time soon to her.”

“What if we organize a surprise engagement party when they come back?”

“That could work out but in return, no one of us will call or text them that we know about the engagement.”

“Of course not. That would spoil the surprise party. Can we meet tomorrow for lunch to discuss details?”

“Sounds great. But you won't cook?”

“I'm the head of the institute. Do you think, I'd have time for that?”

“Right and torture has been outlawed.”

“My cooking skills really improved!”

“You can prove that on another day.”

In Prague it dawned on Clary that on her sent photo her left hand was perfectly visible.

“Jace, do you remember how I said, I wanted to keep our engagement a secret until we're back in NYC?”

“Yeah, why?”

“I'm afraid I have spoiled that plan.”

“What do you mean?”

“The selfie we took during the boat tour, you can see the ring.”

“Maybe they haven't seen it.”

“Jace...”

“What? They would have called by now if they had seen it.”

In that very moment Jace's phone rang.

“Who is it?”

“Maryse.”

“You better answer.”

“We're on vacation, nobody can expect me to answer my phone right away.”

“Jace, please. We don't want them to appear here all out of a sudden to congratulate us.”

“They should come to you because you spoiled the secret.”

“Just answer the phone.”

Jace sighed and picked up the call.

“Hey Mar..., mom. Is everything alright, did something happen?”

“Of course did something happen. We've seen the photo Clary has sent. Did you just ask her? I told you, she would say yes. We're so happy for you.”

“Thank you. And no, I asked Clary a few days ago in the greenhouse of the institute.”

“Awww, that's so sweet. But why didn't you tell then?”

“Originally we had wanted to keep the news to ourselves for a bit but ...”

“Is Clary around?”

“Of course she is.”

“Let me speak to her.”

Jace handed his phone over to Clary.

“When she asks you to call her mom, you better accept.”

“Hi Maryse.”

“Congratulations, sweetheart. I can't tell you how happy we are for the both of you. Luke is currently in a meeting but I couldn't wait to talk to you. Jace was so nervous, you could say no to him.”

“I'd never do that. But please could you try to keep a low profile about it? Otherwise we'll hang on the phone for the good part of the next few days.”

“Of course. Are you enjoying Prague so far?”

“It is so beautiful here. I've taken a lot of photos by now. From our apartment we have a kinda perfect view on the Charles Bridge. It really has this fairytale feeling to it.”

“So glad to hear you enjoy it. You really deserve some time off. And from now on, you'll call me mom, okay?”

“Okay, I'll try to keep that in mind.”

“Clary, I don't know if you're fully aware of how happy Jace is with you.”

“I am though that scares me sometimes.”

“Don't let it scare you. You saved him more than once.”

“I only tried to love him no matter how tough it was by times. Could you do me a favor?”

“Of course. Which one? Should I keep Izzy from going overboard with excitement and preparations?”

“Yes, please but how?”

“Clary, she's my daughter. And you should know how crazy she is about weddings.”

“That's true.”

“But I'll leave you now to your vacation. Enjoy your time!”

“We will. Thank you, mom.”