Chapter 30: Wedding

CHAPTER 30

There were tons of photos before I was finally hauled inside the car. Mom, Dad and Lyana rode next to me inside the white vintage car. Mom couldn't stop taking photos while Lyana sat across from me with a timid smile on her face. Dad was looking radiant as well.

"Let's take a photo." My mother suggested as she raised her hand in a selfie. I grinned at the camera. Happy that my family was together. I was thankful my step mother didn't ride with us. She was pregnant with our baby brother and I could only hope he grew up with my Dad's character and not his mom's.

As we made our way to church, I saw cameras lining the road. I sighed. It was supposed to be an intimate wedding. But news got a hold of our wedding. I was thankful the church was placed in a secluded area.

Tall trees lined the entrance to the church before the gates opened and a tiny mystical church stood on the hilltop. My breathe hitched at the beauty of the place. The entrance were adorned with white, soft pink and peach flowers. There were golden candelabras and fairy lights.

I felt I stepped into a fairyland. The entourage saw my arrival and was ushered in my Michael. Eviana knocked on our window and Dad opened it.

An approving smile was on her lips. "You look beautiful, Laurene." She said "I'll let you know if you can come out now. We'll let them walk first."

I nodded my head. Lyana squeezed my hand before climbing out of the car. I glanced towards the ring in my hand, and a rubbed it, hoping to find strength in it.

"I'm so proud of you, Laurene." My mother whispered in my ear as she kissed my cheeks.

"Dark will be a good man for you." My father told me.

I never doubted him.

A knock on the door signalled for us to come out. Flashes of light greeted me as our own photographer took photos. I smiled and waved as I got out.

We walked the steps towards the entrance of the church. Every step I took, cold fear enveloped my veins. I tried to swallow the thickness in my throat. I shouldn't be scared.

Because when you have the man of your dreams, and a fairy tale wedding with friends and family to watch, you should be happy, right?

Any bride-to-be would be jumping with joy to be married to a man who was as beautiful as the Greek gods, and as wealthy as the Top 1% in the country.

Any bride would be ecstatic to see her parents' and family congregated to witness the most important day of her life.

Any bride to be would be awed and mystified at the grandeur and beauty of the wedding location.

But, not me.

I was downright scared to my bones. I wanted to cry and bolt out of the place.

Lyana looked back at me before she started to walk. A frown was on her face. She turned and walked towards my form. Her arms wrapped around my body, and whispered "Be fearless and selfish Laurene."

It was so soft that I barely heard it. Pulling back, she slipped a key on my hand without anyone seeing it and winked before turning back and walking down the aisle.

My thoughts were in a jumble as I clutched the key in my hand. My eyes trained towards my sister's back.

She knew. My sister knew I didn't wanted this. Slipping the key on my pocket, I schooled my features and stared straight ahead. I love Dark. I love him. That's all I have think about. But my gaze landed on my boss and my stepmother, and my stomach clenched.

Bile rose from my lips, as I felt my breathing became ragged. Sweat broke out in my forehead, and crippling fear filled my veins. I felt a thousand spiders crawling up my arm.

Clutching the bouquet of white roses in my hand, I slipped my cold hand to my father's arm. His eyes were full of light, while mine were pure of terror. He must have noticed it because he frowned at me under his eyes.

"Are you alright, sweetie?" he asked worriedly. I licked my lips, careful not to say the wrong thing, when the hymn to my favourite ballad began to play. It was our turn to walk the aisle.

I didn't get to answer him when the oak doors opened and awed gasps of our guests filled the silence. White daisies, tulips and dahlias filled the place. Fairy lights glittered on the ceiling, and golden candelabras lined the aisle.

At the end of the aisle was my husband-to-be, Dark Montero. Even from afar I could feel the love and happiness radiating off of him. A pale smile formed on my lips. I saw him frown, worried.

My mother stood right next to me as I clutched my father's arm in the other. We began to walk down the aisle. Our steps were measured and slow.

My chest constricted with love and pain. The all-too familiar dizziness of a panic attack clawed through my chest. My breathing became shallow and tears formed in my eyes. My hand tightened on my father's arm.

"What's wrong?" my mother asked as I stopped in the middle of the aisle.

Everyone's eyes were on me as they stood in confusion. My vision blurred as I saw the confusion and fear in everyone's eyes. Shaking my head, I searched for my sister's eyes. And when it landed on her, I saw acceptance and a sense of pride in her eyes.

My heart thudded in my chest as a decision fell on my head. Warmth filled my veins, chasing the fear away as the decision gave me peace. Turning my gaze towards Dark, my heart broke at the fear in his eyes.

A tear fell and a whimper escaped my lips. "I'm sorry." I told him.

"I can't do this." Removing my hand from my father's arm, I ran away from the gasped of the guests, the hurt in my parents' eyes and the betrayal in Dark's eyes.

Running towards the door, I flung open the doors and opened my eyes to the fluorescent lights on a pale white ceiling.

Published 05.03.2020