Chapter 20: Hell hath no fury

Chapter 20

"Are you sure you'll be fine while I'm gone?" Lyana asked as she zipped her suitcase. I was supposed to be staying at Dark's place but chose to sleep at our condominium. I wanted to spend time with my sister before she leaves.

She didn't asked me about Dark and I was thankful for it. Dark did sent out flowers and spend lunch with me to make up for lost time. I was grateful for it but we were always disturbed by Johanna.

A couple of times he broke his promises that I learned not to believe it or put any meaning to it. It'll hurt less if I just shrugged his words.

Lyana knew something was off but chose not to ask. We were also civil with our dad and our step-mom. As long as she takes care of Dad, then we're cool with it.

We'll just have to stomach Darla's annoying presence. I really couldn't understand my Dad.

Shaking my head, I helped her pack her things. She'll be having her despedida party tomorrow, courtesy of Blaise.

I asked her about it but she merely shrugged. So, I didn't push her. I made her night as fun as possible by letting her eat her favorite Filipino dishes that I successfully cooked for the first time.

I know. Laurene and cooking in the same sentence.

By the time Lyana was asleep, I tiptoed out of her bedroom and grabbed my phone. I needed Dark. I needed to talk to him because I needed someone to hold me when I'll be missing my sister.

I dialled his phone a couple of times and sent it to voicemail. After the 2nd call, I gave up.

Opening my social media account, my forehead scrunched at the tagged photo of Dark. Clicking it, my heart fell as I watched him seated beside Johanna with a couple of her college friends.

The caption says: Thank you for tonight, Dark. We had fun! (^.^)

Biting my lip, I roughly closed my phone and slept beside my sister with tears running down my face.

***

"Dark let's dance." Johanna tried pulling Dark on the dance floor. It was Lyana's send off party before she leaves for the states. Being the guy who likes my sister, Blaise set a party. I don't know if this was their way of mending things or a way of saying goodbye.

Blaise may tell everyone it was a charity case for this party but he and my sister cannor deny anything from my scrutinizing gaze. I knew something happened between them and my sister's moving halfway across the globe with her tail in between her legs.

I wish I could stop her but she was adamant in leaving. I had no choice but to support. As for me, I already moved my stuff at Dark's place and enrolled at the top review center.

I was studying and managing my online shop while Dark went on with his company. It was fun living with Dark but it annoyed me how Johanna contantly asked for his attention.

She's always Dark let's do this, Dark he hurt me I need you, Dark I can't do this without you help, and many more. It annoyed me senseless when a photo of them surfaced on the web. People didn't know she was his cousin that news thought she was Dark's new girlfriend.

For the past month, Dark would always leave whenever Johanna calls for him. There were several times he had to cancel on me because Johanna needed him. I tried understanding him but Johanna was already making friends in school.

I didn't liked it either when she introduced him to her friends as her boyfriend when Dark went to one of their group study. I tried talking to Dark about it but he would always say that he promised Uncle Matthias that he'll take care of Johanna.

I almost lose my cool. I didn't want to be a demanding girlfriend, so I let him. But the times when I needed him the mos- like when I got sick, or I needed to talk to him because my Dad was getting married or the time Lyana was packing and it broke me, I needed him. But he wasn't there.

The walls I've built for myself before I met him began to build again. I was being dependent of him when back then I wasn't. I should have learned to be disappointed with people when everyone in my life failed to uphold to their promises.

I only let it down when Dark came in. And it was one of the biggest mistake I made. I thought giving Johanna a chance to ease the pain in my chest. But she was mean as a viper.

Now she's here and stealing my man. Again. I swear she wasn't part of our guestlist but Dark came in at the club with her in tow. He said something about being lonely which irked me.

He knew I didn't liked his cousin. So, for the whole night I didn't talked to him. He said I'll be his priority but he's always spending time with her.

All night I socialized with our guests while Dark followed me like a wounded puppy. When I was finally warming up to him when he sat beside me on the bar stool and engaged in small caresses, the annoying she-devil walked in and asked to dance with him.

Johanna looked extremely drunk with her loud voice and dilated eyes.

"Come on Dark, please? Just one dance." Johanna begged as he began pulling the sleeves of his shirt "I don't want to dance when men would cup a feel."

Dark looked torn as he glances at me and his cousin. I gave him my most pointed look but eventually he shook his head. "I'm sorry Laurene. I'll just dance with her with one song."

"Whatever." I snapped at him as I turned my back and drank my cosmopolitan. I heard him sigh before I felt him leave my presence.

I hate him. I hate Dark. I hate how he's always with Johanna. Every time I get to see him he's with her. We don't even talk anymore because I was so busy with review and he's busy with her.

I don't feel like his girlfriend anymore. He's always choosing her over me. Sighing, I drank another glass to stop the heavy thumping of my heart in my chest when I smelled the familiar drawl from behind.

Turning around I was greeted by the debonair grin of Luke.

"Hey sexy you seem lonely." He titled his head to the side and grinned "Do you want to dance?"

Staring at his outstretched hand, I turned towards the close bodies of Dark and Johanna and glanced at the leveling gaze of Luke.

A wicked grin crept on my lips, "I would love to."

Published 04.24.2020