Chapter 29: Wedding Dress

"OMG! Ate, I love your dress!" Lyana squealed, standing from her seat and taking a picture of me. Her eyes were twinkling and a huge smile was on her face. I stood at the circle platform in front of the huge mirror.

We were at Patricia Santos's boutique. She was a famous fashion designer in the Philippines. I was thankful she was able to accommodate me despite her fully booked schedule.

Patricia was warm and kind. She listened to my style and incorporated my personality in the dress. Standing before them, I gave a sheepish smile as Patricia placed the veil on my head.

I was wearing an open back off shoulder gown with a sweet heart neckline. The dress was cinched on my waist with a beautiful belt and the gown flared at the bottom adorned with Swarovski crystals.

Turning to my sister and mother, I saw the tears in their eyes. "How do I look?"

"You look beautiful, Laurene." my mother sniffed as I twirled in front of her.

My sister beamed and Patricia nodded as well. I placed a smile on my face.

"Thank you Patricia." I warmly told her, hugging her. She squeezed my arms and nodded.

"Anything for a friend." She whispered.

Pulling away, I turned back to the full length mirror. I did looked beautiful. I looked like a bride. A smile graze my lips at the dress. It was beautiful. It was better than I thought of, yet wearing the dress made it even more real.

I was getting

married.

Swallowing the fear in my throat, I kept my smile intact. It was a week before the wedding, and my mom and Lyana had flown from the states. They took a leave and Lyana just finished with her semester.

There were still a few things to do for the wedding, but I let Dark and my organizers worry about it. I had more pressing matters to do at work since my boss was extremely angry the past few weeks. Everyone was in constant edge. I had been the receiving end of her anger. Hence, even on a Saturday I went to work.

I didn't want any more mistakes.

Helping me remove my dress, I saw Lyana pursing her lips. She was biting her lips.

"What's wrong?" I asked as I stepped out into the dress and put on my casual dress.

She stared at me, biting her lips before sighing. "I work with people in the US, Laurene. I learned to look at people in the eyes and see their emotion." I stilled upon her words "Most brides would look ecstatic when they wear their gown. But why did your eyes showed fear?"

My heart thudded in my chest. My hands clenched at the sides as my sister frowned upon me. I looked away, grabbing my bag and gave her a smile. "I was thinking about work."

"Stop lying to me. You can fool everyone else, but not me." she harshly replied "I thought you never liked to get married. I was shocked when you said yes and went on with the preparations."

"My choices can change." I shrugged, keeping myself as indifferent as possible. A gave her a smile, "I'm fine, Lyana."

She sighed and shook her head before looking at me "You've always been selfless, Laurene. I wish..." she paused thinking of her words before steeling me with her eyes "I wish you could be a little selfish for once in your life."

Turning back, she left me inside the dressing room with my thoughts in a jumble.

After leaving the dressing room, Patricia informed us that she'll have it adjusted, dry cleaned and packed. I thanked her and we went out into the bustling metro. Glancing at my watch, I had a few hours to work before having dinner with my family.