Chapter 31: Suffocating

Chapter 31

"Where am I?" I asked to myself.

Scrunching my head in confusion, my gaze slid to the beeping monitor beside me and the IV in my arm. My gaze slid to the hospital gown I was wearing and my right arm in cast. I tried to move when pain hit me and I groaned in bed.

It was only then I realized the man sleeping at the chair beside me. His red rimmed eyes opened at the moan I let out. His hair was dishevelled and he had a day's beard covering his jaw. He looked like a wreck.

"You're awake!" he cried out, happy tears brimming his eyes. His lay a soft hand in my cheek and my insides warmed at his touch.

I was about to ask him when my throat felt clogged and dry. He noticed it when he said, "I'll go get the nurse. Wait here. And you'll also need water."

He hurriedly beeped for the nurse while not taking my eyes off of me. The nurse came in with a smile on her face. She helped me drink while the doctor came in.

"Hello Laurene. I'm Dr. Jones." He said with a warm smile "Let me check your vitals first and we'll run some tests for us to know if your fine. So far, how are you feeling?"

"A bit sore." I croaked

"How's your head?" he asked.

"It feels heavy." I honestly told him.

"We'll let you drink some pain killers for the pain. So far, your vitals are normal. Once we checked your lab results and monitor you for a few days, you'll be good as new." He said smiling down upon me "May I know the last thing you remembered?"

My forehead scrunched up in confusion at the dream of my wedding before remembering I was crossing the lane when I got hit. "I was crossing the pedestrian lane when I got hit."

"Correct." He said scribbling down on his journal " I'll ask you a few questions more."

He asked me a series of questions before he deemed I didn't lose my memory.

"You suffered an internal blow on your head and a few broken bones. We were able to mend it but it was all up to you to wake up." The doctor softly said. "You were in a coma for 3 weeks. You were lucky you survived. We almost lost you, Laurene."

My forehead scrunched in confusion. I turned towards Dark who was holding my hand all throughout. I can see in his gaze the truth. There was also fear in his eyes.

"We'll have a therapist help you soon. For now, rest." Dr. Jones said before leaving.

Once the door closes, I turned towards Dark. "What did he mean you almost lost me?"

Tears welled up in his eyes "You flat lined Laurene."

A gasp fell on my lips. He continued with a somber expression. I cupped his cheek as he kissed my palm "They rushed you to the hospital with a broken rib and arm. I swear I almost died when they told me they were reviving you. There was an internal damage but luckily the doctors were able to mitigate it." Dark said sighing "You were in a coma for 3 weeks. No one knew when you will wake up. I was so scared."

Tears fell in his eyes and my heart broke for me.

"Don't scare me again, Laurene." He sobbed.

"I'm sorry." I whispered to him "Everything will be alright."

Squeezing his hand, I remembered the dream and the same tears in Dark's eyes.

The past few weeks were slow for me. Dark wouldn't leave my side. Mom took care of me for a week before flying back to the US. We decided to postpone the wedding. Lyana also moved in with Dark and I to keep me company. Dad and my stepmother went back to the province. As for my work, I gave them my resignation letter. I told Dark and my parents about my decision after I tendered my resignation.