Chapter 7: Phone Call

CHAPTER 7

"Ate, you should talk to Dad." Lyana said the moment I turned on my phone and took her call. My head pinched in worry.

"Why? What's wrong?" I asked as I sat on Dark's couch. I was waiting for him to finish showering and getting dressed. Then, we'll eat breakfast together.

He told me once that it was lonely eating alone. So, I make it a habit to eat with him. The small smile on his face and the warm hug he gave me after the first night I went out of my way to dine with him was the best.

"Just talk to him." my sister grumbled "He went on and on again about being alone. I hate it when he tells us that we don't care about him."

"Okay. I'll talk to him." I knew what my sister was talking about. Dad has his moments where he feels down and unloved. We try to give him the support and love he wanted but it was always different. For him, he wanted my mother's love but we can't give him that.

They both agreed to annul the marriage and spend their separate lives. My mom's in the US as a registered nurse. It was hard for us growing up without her when we turned teenagers. But she had to support our family since my dad's meager office salary wasn't enough.

Everything took a downhill since then when Dad became more controlling and possessive. It wasn't healthy. Mom got a job back here in the Philippines to fix their marriage, but they had a lot of issues and eventually the love died.

After the annulment, Mom went back to the US and Dad went into a depression. It was hard for us all specially for Lyana and me. We became his pillars when we in turn were suffering too.

I remember putting on a brave face for my sister and my Dad despite the cracks of my heart. My ex-boyfriend, Luke couldn't handle me that he broke up with me. It was the worst days of my life. It scared me for life that I always put everyone at a distance.

Dialing my father's phone number, I went outside Dark's mini garden. He answered on the first ring and we true to my assumptions, these were his bad days again.

"Dad you can stay with us here in the Metro if you're feeling lonely." I softly told him "We love you and we're trying us best to give the love that you want. But it will be difficult if you yourself won't make an effort."

"That's not my concern, Laurene." He sobbed "I'm just scared of being alone. I always asked myself why it happened to me when all I wanted was build a family."

I pursed my lips and calmed my breathing. He was always like this. Always the same questions. It gets really tiring. "You're not. You have us."

"You'll have your own family and I'll be left alone." He sobbed even more. "What happens when I grow old? I don't have a wife to take care of me."
"If that's the reason you wanted to marry then you're being selfish Dad." I truthfully told him "It's selfish of you to only want a wife to take care of you when you grow old. You should marry for love. Because when you marry for love, everything else will fall into place."

This stunned him "If that's one of your worries, I can assure you, Lyana and I will support you when you can no longer take care of yourself and we'll hire the best caregiver. Besides I don't plan on getting married."

I shouldn't compare the outcome of my future marriage to my parents' and aunts. Although my aunt's marriage wasn't annulled, it was hard seeing them pretend to be alright.

Marriage scared me that the image of walking down the altar sent shivers down my spine. I do want to have a kid but I don't see myself ever marrying.

I heard him sniff on the other line "You should try to go out too Dad. You're a single man with a charming personality. I do understand your worries, but you have to train your mind and your emotions to be better than this. Self-pity won't help you. Go out and live. Being loved and hurt that's part of life. And it is for us on how we move forward from the hurdles thrown at us."

"Thank you anak." He sincerely told me

"Thank you Daddy. How about we'll schedule you a counseling session with one of my good psychologists? He'll be able to understand and help you with your mental health." I softly told him.

Being a peer counselor myself at our university, I knew how important it was to have a healthy mental health. Being surrounded by a positive environment and helping other students was a joy. I should have taken up psychology but my mother wanted me to take Accountancy. I hope my pain and tears are worth it.

"No." my dad instantly answered.

My frown deepened "Daddy when you go to counseling it doesn't mean your crazy. We have to stop the thinking that when you to a psychologist you're crazy. They're there to help us with our mental health." I explained to him "I'll schedule you to Dr. Monroe this Saturday. Be there in 10am."

He sighed and eventually relented.

When the phone call ended, I slumped on the chair and massaged my forehead. I heard the door opening and looked up to a worried Dark.

"Hey, everything okay?" he asked me with the crease in his forehead. The heaviness in my heart diminished. I walked towards him and he circled his arms on my waist.

"I am now." I honestly told him, kissing his lips. A grin formed on his lips and he placed a kiss on my nose.

"Good." He nodded "Come on I'm hungry and we're going to be late."

"Who's fault is that?"

He raised a brow and I shook my head at him.

We finished our meal in less than 10 minutes, brushed our teeth and went to school. Kissing me goodbye on the lips, I watched his car sped off from the campus.

I still have 10 minutes to get to my first class, Humanities. Turning my back, I hurriedly went to my room. But when I was almost to my first class, the person from behind pushed me hence, I unceremoniously bumped to a wall of chest.

"Oomph." My cry got muffled by the hard chest and strong arms supporting me. A wiff of a familiar sandalwood and pine trees invaded my senses. My heart stilled and my breathing deepened.

It can't be. I thought to myself.

My eyes looked up and my hearth thudded to my chest. Light Mercury eyes met mine and the same boyish smirk that I fell in love with before formed on his lips.

"Luke."

***

Hello lovelies!

Due to the coronavirus, I would like to express how important it is to have a positive and good mental health.  If you're feeling sad, anxious or down, don't be afraid to give me a chat and I'll be happy to help you. We should all strive to help each other during this pandemic, no matter how small or big it is. 

Thank you!