Chapter 19: Trials

Chapter 19

"I talked to Johanna earlier on the phone." Dark told me as I buckled my seatbelt "She'll be in her best behavior."

"As she should." I squinted my eyes at him "I won't promise to keep my mouth shut when she crosses a line."

Dark nodded and we drove to the mall. I prayed to the almighty for patience and goodluck. I was going to need it for today.

The moment we met in the ice cream parlor, she gave me a cold greeting and pulled Dark with her vice like arms.

Dark gave me an apologetic smile while I pursed my lips to keep my mouth shut.

I don't want to fight with him or Johanna. I would like to give her a chance. Maybe she just wants a friend.

Dark kept his arm around me while Johanna pulled his other hand. We looked ridiculous.

"I was thinking of a bohemian theme for my room." Johanna merrily chatted as we entered the department store.

"It's a good choice. My sister's room is also bohemian theme." I tried small talk with her "You can try those wall designs."

"It's too old fashioned." She snarkily replied as she pointed to the same but different design of wall design "I want that one."

I pursed my lips and shrugged. "How about these rugs?"

Her nose scrunched in disdain. Instead, she gave her attention to Dark. A smile was on her face as she looped a hand on his arm, "What do you think, Dark?"

"Laurene's suggestions were really nice." Dark honestly replied glancing between the two of us. I knew he was trying his best to mediate between the two of us but Johanna was being difficult.

Johanna pouted like a kid and ran her finger on Dark's biceps. I wanted to swat her hand but chose not to. Dark sensed the laser-like beams of my eyes that he carefully removed Johanna's claws.

"Laurene is the best when it comes to interior design." He proudly told Johanna as he stood beside me and wrapped his arm around.

I melted at his touch. He must have known the tension between us. I squeezed his hand in thanks.

"Her choices are different from mine." She snapped and looked around.

"It's still your call, Johanna. I was merely suggesting." I drawled. I was close to biting her head off.

"I like Dark's choices. His room is beautiful." She commented. My body stilled at the mention of Dark's room. I shouldn't be affected for her to enter Dark's room. She was his cousin.

But it sent bile on my throat. The feral beast in my stomach was awakening. Dark sensed the dragon in my depths that he caressed my waist and nuzzled my neck before looking back at Johanna.

"Laurene designed our room."

The word our didn't go unheard from everyone around us and the angry beast in my chest slowly clapped. I almost laughed at the repugnance in Johanna's eyes. She didn't like it knowing I was the one in Dark's bed. Not her.

Take that you snotty child!

"I'll just take these sheets and curtains." Johanna replied, tilting her chin up. The scowl on her face was evident.

"I'm hungry. I want to go to my favorite ice cream parlor." She declared.

"Are you sure you won't buy anything else Johanna?" Dark asked staring at the paperbag.

Johanna simply shrugged,"I didn't enjoy my shopping experience." she muttered. If I know, she didn't like it that I was there "Let's just go to my favorite ice cream parlor."