Chapter 23: Ring

Chapter 23

"Do you know what I'm talking about?" the snappy voice of the officer snapped at me on the other line.

"I'm sorry I don't understand but we have to..."

"Laurene ask your team head before going to me." She snapped back and dropped the phone.

My heart thundered in my chest. My hand was gripping the phone in my hand. And I saw my other hand shaking on the pen.

I saw the sympathetic looks of my fellow analysts from their computers. I'm working at a bank as part of their credit analysia team. I worked at a famous accounting firm for a year but decided to resign and pay my bond due to the pressure and work environment.

Apparantly, my work environment wasn't different from the first one. Biting my lip, I expelled a deep breathe before reporting to my team head.

I saw the disappointment in her eyes and told me she'll take care of it and let me draft a letter. My work was to create ratings for the customers of the bank. We were under a strict turnaround time that makes our work really stressful.

I go to work at 8am and leave by 10pm. There was a time I stayed up to 12am during our peak period. I felt so drained, tired and overworked.

I can feel the tears began to fall on their own. Quickly, I ran to the restroom and locked myself on the restroom. I sobbed as I clammed my mouth shut. My chest was heavy and my cheeks damp with tears.

When I finally pulled myself together, I began working until 10pm.

"Laurene, we'll buy dinner at Jollibee. Do you want us to buy you your usual?" Gaile, one of the señior analysts, asked me.

I gave her a small smile "Yeah sure."

She tapped my back at the exhaustion in my eyes "You're going to be fine. The account officer you talked to was brutal."

A small smile appeared on my lips and nodded. Turning my eyes on the screen, I sighed when I saw them leave.

They said I'll get used to it and I'll learn to harden my heart. I did. I learned to be tough and to take all the work because I was paid to do it. But I wasn't happy. I wasn't happy with my job. I don't feel fulfilled like the rest of my batchmates.

They stay up late in the office yet go home with a sense of fulfillment. I don't. I go home crying myself inside the bathrub.

Dark knows my struggles and comforted me. But eventually, I hid my pain away from him. I didn't want him to fight my battles. I didn't want to stress him our. It was my own pain to endure.

I just don't know if I can endure it any longer. I never liked my profession. Mom and Dad picked it for me and I just went on with it.

If I were to pick my own course, I would have chosen fine arts and journalism. Sighing, I heard my phone vibrate in my pocket. Opening it, I saw Dark's text message.

From: Baby Dark
Baby I'll be in Singapore for a few days. There was a problem with our office and I had to fix it.

Texting him, I replied okay and take care.

Closing my phone, I stared blankly on my computer. Dark was happy with his job. He felt driven and motivated. It is due to his passion that they were able to expand his online shop business to other parts in asia.

He's company is now one of the top online shopping platforms in Asia. I'm proud of the journey he had achieved. But apart of felt envious. Dark knew what he wanted and chased his dream. While I'm stuck with a profession I never liked.

Warm liquid filled my vision and I roughly wiped it away. I don't have time to cry. I have work to do.

Furiously typing, I finished the report. Just in time Gaile and the others arrived with foods on their hand. They were nice people and I really liked them.

Joining them for dinner, I was twirling my spaghetti with my fork when I noticed Gaile watching me. Looking up she watched my hand and turned to my eyes.

"What is it?" I asked her but she shook her head. I noticed everyone else looking at my hand too. I frowned and stared at the back of my hand. Nothing's wrong with it. I didn't have any tattoos.

It was Leah who broke the curious gazes "Has Dark given you a ring?"

I frowned at her question. "No. Why are you asking?"

She shrugged and turned her gaze to Gaile. She pursed her lips and finally gave in with my pointed glare "We thought Dark proposed to you since he was seen buying a wedding ring and engagement ring on Fifth avenue a few months ago."

My eyes widened and my jaw dropped. It can't be. Where did they hear this?

"We saw on the news."  Gaile said. She showed me the tabloids. I stared at it wide-eyed. This was taken 3 months ago. Dark never told me about it.

"I d-didn't know anything about this." I honestly told them. They all sulked at my response. "Perhaps he was buying it as a gift."

"Perhaps." Gaile clapped "But everyone knows he's literally married to you. The guy is so whipped!"

I blushed at her statement. We went to one of our company parties and I brought Dark with me. It was obvious Dark had his heart set on me with his devoted attention. Not once did he leave my side. He was sweet and attentive. Classic Dark.

"We'll throw a party when you get engaged!" Gaile gushed as everyone giggled. I inwardly cringed.

I never wanted to get married. Its one of my deepest and darkest secrets. If Dark was buying wedding rings what should I do? It will hurt him if I don't accepr his proposal. I know he badly wants a family.

But, I just wasn't ready for it. I don't think I ever will.

"Hello? Earth to Laurene?" Gaile snapped her fingers infront of my face. I blinked and jumped on my seat. "Are you okay? You're awfully quite."

"I'm tired." I lied to them. Finishing my meal, I cleaned my spot "I should head home."

Saying my goodbye to them, I drove to Dark's condo. I washed and prepared myself to bed when the thought of the ring crossed my mind.

Sitting up, I debated on whether I'll look for it or not. The news may not be true but the curious side of her was itching to know the truth.

I should have just gone back to sleep. But I felt my feet padding into his walk-in closet. I slowly turned off the cameras and began ruffling his drawers. My heart was beating fast as I rummaged through his clothes. I was about to stop myself since I couldn't find anything when my hand touched on a small box.

Underneathe his favorite shirt that I gifted to him lies a small red box. My jaw clenched and my hands shook as I pulled the small box into the light.

Opening it, my heart sank at the huge sapphire diamond ring adorned with small diamonds.

I sank on the floor, clutching the box in my hand as my world came crashing down.

Published 04.26.2020

Chapter 24 will be posted on MoboReader.