Chapter 31: Pier Partner Pt 2

Chapter 31: Third Person POV

If he hadn't realized he'd fallen in love with her all those years ago, Edgar knew this would be a definitive moment that would identify his deeply rooted feelings for her. In fact, watching her with her eight year old nephew and nearly thirteen year old niece, dancing wildly to the upbeat music softly singing from the restaurant's speakers only deepened the adoration for her that he refused to act upon for the ridiculous amount of years that have passed by him. "So, when are you going to pluck up the courage and ask my sister out?" 

Edgar nearly jumps out of his skin at the heavy hand landing on his shoulder in a friendly manner because he'd zoned so far out on the world surrounding him that he'd forgotten anyone else was in the same area as him. "His plan is tonight and I am not letting him chicken out this time. I will lock them in the pantry closet if I need to. Zoe has already approved that plan." Alan pipes in, sending the sandy blonde a pointed look to ensure he knows he has to go through with his original idea to pop the question tonight. 

A squeeze of his shoulder is the final motion of approval from the eldest Emerson before releasing it and nodding over to his sister. "The event is nearly over, so unless you're going to wait-"

"I am going to do it tonight. But not here." He speaks up just loud enough for the two men to hear him, confusion settling across both their features for a moment. "I-There's somewhere that means something to her. I want to do it there. But I will do it tonight. I promise." Alan rolls his eyes while Michael meets the younger Frog Brother's gaze to search for the honesty to his response. The eldest among the three nods with a grin, patting Edgar's back before walking back through the crowd to Star and their children. 

Alan shakes his head, glancing down to his feet with his arms crossed over his chest. "Just don't regret anything. I know you've regretted waiting this long. All these years. But quit waiting for the right time after tonight." With that the raven-haired man crosses to the next table to stand beside his new girlfriend, ducking his head to whisper something in her ear. 

-------------------------------------------

His eyes roam her face for any sign of emotional agony or discomfort even in the slightest as the pair grow closer and closer to the picnic table near a familiar lamplight and tree. He'd driven her to the pier 30 minutes away, where they'd first met when they were fourteen. Unable to quit watching her, he noted the rising discomfort the more they ambled toward the pier park where the crowd had gotten much bigger. Though they had met there and she had clearly enjoyed the funnel cake they shared, he could feel it wasn't the right spot to ask her out- especially in front of all those people. She'd be embarrassed, maybe feel ambushed. So he brought her here. And being unable to read her expression forced him to consider he'd made the wrong decision to bring her back to a place they'd visited often in the conversations. 

But then she jogs ahead of him, plopping herself onto the wooden picnic table top facing toward the ocean where her brother and his best friend had been killed. Her head turns to glance over her shoulder, teasing, "Are you coming or not?" He hadn't realized his feet had paused while watching her in slight surprise of her ease to be back here. Sure, they had come to agreement that Sam had wanted to die to get out of a life he couldn't get out of otherwise and that he was much happier where he is now. But he didn't think she'd appreciate this location that much. 

He sits beside her on that lonely table, a smile on his lips as she scoots closer to him and lies her head on his shoulder. His arm absently wraps itself around her waist, pulling her even closer to his side which she doesn't comment on, even furthering their contact by snuggling her head into the spot where his shoulder meets his chest. "It's beautiful out tonight. And what you did was amazing. I won't ever be able to thank you enough for it. Having my mom, Laddie with his kids and wife, Michael and Star. Which by the way, Michael and you seemed to have a couple of good conversations tonight." She mumbles.

"It's progress," He responds, earning a soft titter from her. They sit in silence for a little bit before he decides to address the location because something in him is unhappy, thinking he drove her to be here at a place of death. "I know this isn't the easiest place to be at, but I thought about our conversations and-"

Her head shakes, her right hand landing a top of his knee and giving it a gentle squeeze in support of his decision. "I love it. I know Sam died here, but I also know it's where he gained his freedom from something that refused to let him have control of himself. It's peaceful here too. Not as hectic as the pier." Both laugh at the commentary before Seraphina forces her eyes to courageously steal a glance at Edgar to get some idea of what he is thinking. She could tell all night that something was off- he was preoccupied by something. "Did you ever call your mom for her birthday on Tuesday?" 

He nods, leaning his head back slightly to get a better look at her. "You remember that?"

"Every year. I mail her a card and write her a letter. I am old school like that." He guffaws at this, dropping his shoulder she her head drops slightly. She releases a gasp but decides to shift her entire body at this, growing tired of the weird tension and hesitation he's displaying. She sits with her right leg bent on the table, tucked beneath her left one that's hanging off the side of the table. Her entire body turns to face him and there's this sparkle of determination in her irises. "Okay, what's going o-"

Edgar practically lunges at Seraphina, not wanting to answer her question with words which seemed too simple of a response. However, watching her eyes widen, Edgar slows down with his movement and instead slowly leans in the rest of the way toward her lips, his left hand reaching up to cup her right cheek. Both their hearts beat erratically in their chests, getting closer and closer until a soft smile fixes itself on Seraphina's lips. Her left hand places itself on his left knee for support she has an instinct she'll need. He's so close to pressing their lips together when he stops to inquire, "Is this okay? Can I kiss you?" 

"I've only been waiting for it for fourteen years." She whispers back before he moves slowly forward and diminishes the rest of the distance between their lips. His other hand lifts and entangles itself in her hair only slightly to keep the gentle pace though both could feel the fire in their kiss. A long, long, long time in the making. 

Both her hands find themselves at the back of his head, one playing with his locks while the other rests at the back of his neck to deepen their kiss. Edgar adjusts both his hands so they rest on her hips and move her until she's sat on his lap before they move back to her cheeks to remind her this is more than just suppressed hormones- it's his entire heart bearing itself in front of her right now. They pull apart, not too far away from each other's lips, and both have this love stricken expression on their facial features, a stupid grin on both of their lips as they inhale deeply to recover lost oxygen. "I think you know, but I, I uh, well-"

Seraphina leans forward and places a chaste kiss to his lips before pulling back to look him in the eyes. "I love you too, Edgar Frog. Awesome monster basher." He removes one hand from her face and places it between their chests, with a smile on his lips.

"The meanest." He utters, hoping she will catch on to his underlying meaning. 

She tops his hand with hers, replying with, "The baddest." Just like that first night of vampire hunting, she pulls a rockstar sign with her hand she'd removed from behind his head and he pulls he hangtime sign. Both release a breathless laugh before reconnecting their lips under the twinkling stars.