Chapter 15: Kickstart My Heart

Author's Note: PLEASE pay attention closely in this chapter. It explains the chapters to come and ties up a pinch of inconsistency from the Lost Boys trilogy. 

ALSO- has anyone seen the second Lost Boys movie? Please, please, please comment below if you have because I need someone to talk to about a particular part in that movie. THANKS!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 15: Third Person POV (A Year Later)

The bright sun descends slowly from the sky, both brothers watching it do so from their kitchen window. Neither speaks a word, both turning towards each other to share a look and converse silently with one another about each individual's duties. Alan felt Edgar's pushback through the intensity of his gaze, but he knew that Edgar needed to do this on his own. The raven haired man turns his head sharply to avoid further contact with the golden brunette, busying himself with the week's worth of dishes. "What do I even say?" 

Concern tinges the raspy voice, slightly surprising the slightly elder brother of the pair. His eyes don't stray from the burnt orange plate between his palms while he considers his next words rather carefully. "Be honest, Edgar. It isn't that difficult." 

"It is that difficult. You should talk to her. You relate more to her in this situation than I do. I was the vampire." Alan's lips part to give his brother the answers he seeks, yet Edgar disputes his oncoming 'wisdom' with the short addition, "For a day." As fast as his lips parted, Alan's suddenly close because he knows there is nothing he can say to make Edgar understand until he just does what has been decided. 

Noting the lack of strain in his brother's actions as his right hand circles around the surface of plate with suds, Edgar releases a heavy sigh and attempts to find some sort of beginning for what he plans on saying. A few mutters break the calm atmosphere created by the running faucet and the soft clatter of dishes against one another whenever Alan placed them onto the rack to dry. Deciding it's best to just have an opener, Edgar passes the island between him and his brother with his mind solely on the same words repeating cautiously in his head. Absent-mindedly he exits the townhouse through the back door that leads into the pretty much open mini backyard. 

His eyes scan around the dark grass field, passing by the three hammocks hanging between the coverage of the two trees their backyard came with, the three plastic chairs they'd found on the side of the road when they first purchased this place, and over the newly renovated dog house in the corner only to land on the most peculiar of places- though not too peculiar for Seraphina. The breeze picks up and the sound of it rustling the newly reddened leaves on the trees covers the crunch of his boots trekking through the grass. 

Silently he sits beside her on the long rectangular table beside the worn out punching bag from the Emerson home they'd been using for years. Neither makes eye contact with the other, both forcing their gazes to remained straight ahead of them in fear of saying the wrong thing. But Edgar cracks and his eyes trail over to her face for a moment only to linger on tears rolling down her cheeks. Adverting his gaze to ease her, he allows the rustling to envelope them in silence for a few more lingering moments just to take the edge off. 

"This is going to sound stupid but I've never stopped asking myself this question and I can never stop pondering it." Her timid voice breaks through the rustling though barely with her incredibly soft whisper. His hum signals her to continue and she pauses for a long moment, rethinking the execution of this incredibly ridiculous inquiry. "Do you believe there is a God? That God exists?" 

Part of him is taken aback by her religious conclusion while the other part is aware that her logical link must derive such a question from the reputation of vampires being 'devil' like or devilish, sinful. From her peripherals, she watches Edgar turn his head toward her just the slightest bit. He tilts his right cheek down and his brown eyes zero in on the way her eyes look everywhere but his. His voice suddenly vanishes as he mulls it over in his head. He often asked himself the same thing and found the same conclusion- no. "It's just-" The pause holds a deep heaviness he is suddenly hyper-aware of. "I can't stop thinking about it. Especially when you got turned I tried to find an answer. If God exists, then how does bad shit like this and even worse happen? And if he doesn't exist, how do other breathtaking inexplicable miracles occur to normal people?" Her voice cracks at the end, her eyes that had found his in the duration of her thoughts, advert elsewhere as her head snaps towards the opposite direction of him.