Chapter 1

Been thinking of this ever since I've left for vacation. I don't know how it's going to be...

Update - June 22, 2020

I now know how this is going to be: It's going to be garbage written by a middle school student. For some reason, people still like it after nearly a decade.

This is your only warning. If you'd rather read something more mature, you can read the sequel to What the She-Wolf Wants called Her Daughter. It was recently completed and has a bit more depth. It is on my profile page.

Other than that, I am currently writing Saving Shaw (also on my profile page). That one is also showing promise. Regardless, either of those are a lot better than this. Thank you.

____________________

Dani's P.O.V.

As soon as I walked through school Thursday morning I knew they were here. I, being a werewolf, and they, being a whole pack of werewolves, was able to sniff them out easily. Yesterday, I was the only one in town. No surprise there either. I wasn't even supposed to be what I am, but given the night I was born on, I was.

Now, I wasn't alone. There was a whole pack here. What alpha in their right mind moves a whole pack to a small town like mine? This was going to suck. Not to mention become a whole lot of trouble for me when they realized they weren't alone here.

I'm Danielle Cameron. A werewolf by my birthright. Not my family name, like most wolves are born. Usually, werewolves inherit their abilities from their parents. It's genetic. Me? No, I'm the only werewolf in my whole entire family line. The only werewolf in my whole town. Until now, that is.

I had put up a secret reputation for myself. Secret because I was the only one that called myself this and knew about my fortuitous existence. I was the lone she-wolf. No one knew about me though, that was the only thing that sucked, even if I didn't really mind it much. See, I had learned of a whole werewolf system. Not much about it, just a vague view. I wasn't a part of it either. Not like I cared. Packs weren't my thing. Neither were rules or codes or whatever.

The reason the others didn't know about me was because my shift wasn't planned. Two years ago, on the night of my fourteenth birthday I was walking home from my best friend's house. I took a short cut through the woods. Most people would think I would be crazy to walk in a dark forest at night, but I've always found comfort in the woods. Anyway, I was walking when I felt something creep along my body.

It was the moonlight. I felt it on my body. In any normal situation I would've panicked, but of course I'm not normal so I didn't. I started to remove my clothes. It was weird, like my mind had been taught what to do, even though I didn't know what was going on. In a few moments, I was down on four paws.

Most people would've been seriously freaked out, but as I said before, I'm not most people. I went over to a stream and looked at my reflection. My fur was a stunning, reddish brown and my eyes were piercing silver. They were what I liked best about my second form. The way they sparkled in the moonlight was breath-taking, according to my best friend.

She was the only one who I told my secret to. Not my family, but her. Katie and I had been best friends since before kindergarten. We trusted each other even more than ourselves. I told her everything. It was because she understood me. We were a lot alike, Katie and I. That's why we were best friends. She was the only one who had seen me as a wolf and known it was me.

Now back to that first night. With my nose, I had nudged my clothes over to a tree. Then I just took off. I ran and ran until I was satisfied. It was very corny, but I walked up to a hill and howled. That had been the most amazing feeling in the world. Letting my wolf take over and letting my soul experience that. I knew I would love being a werewolf and I do.

Now, back to the present. Automatically, I was cautious. I walked slowly and kept an open mind. They wouldn't be able to sneak up on me. They wouldn't... I yelped in surprise and turned around.

Katie. I glared at her for tapping me on the shoulder. She was a human. She didn't count. "What was that for?" I asked, a little irritated that she had surprised me like that.

She gave me a funny look. "Jeez, Dani. Calm down. I called your name like a billion times."

I hadn't heard her. I was relying more on my sense of smell than my hearing right now. "Sorry," I apologized. "I was... distracted."

"Is something wrong?" Katie asked in a quieter tone. As I said before, she knew everything about me, like I did for her. Right now, I had a feeling she knew it was werewolf related.

I talked lowly and quickly. "There's a pack here. I don't know why, but there are a lot of them in the school. Just be aware and if you find anything out about their background story, I need to know. They will find out today about me. Some of them will come across my scent and report it to their alpha." What I didn't tell her is that they could kill me. I wasn't in a pack. I was alone. They wouldn't care if I had lived here since I was born. And it would be effortless to eliminate me.

Werewolves are unpredictable and packs differ in their rules. They could have either killed me on the spot once they had gotten me alone and without asking questions, or not have seen me as a threat and let me go unharmed. There's always the chance they would have kicked me out of my home, too, but I'd never really considered this place my home.

It was just temporary. I stayed here until I could graduate. Then I would leave town. I wanted to travel. Explore places and work odd jobs. Be a real lone wolf. One that travels. One that isn't anchored down anywhere. Of course, I would come back sometimes to visit my family and Katie, but other than that I would be on my own.

My life had already been planned out. It was the only thing I'd never told Katie. Marriage wasn't an option because my husband would never be able to accept what I am and I wouldn't be able to tell him. If we were to have kids, that would be even worse. Would they be wolves like me? Or would they be human? To be honest there were a whole lot of things I didn't know about my kind.

Katie's eyes widened, bringing me back to reality. "I'm on it. Don't worry. I'll see you at lunch," she said and walked to her first period class. It was English. We had memorized each other's schedules. My eyes fell once I realized how badly I'd miss her.

I headed for history and took a seat in the back. At least one wolf would be in my class. I wanted to be able to watch them without them watching me. The bell rang and class started.