Chapter 24

So, people, I know that a lot of you want to kill me for leaving yet another cliffhanger, so I decided to be kind and update the next chapter. This chapter might answer some stuff, like the cliffhanger, but... well, just read the chapter to find out what happens next! :P As usual, I'm dedicating chapters to my loyal readers, so please comment as usual to inform me of who you are. :) Thanks! And here's a picture of Tamarak and Sapphire on the side. :)

Chapter 24

                Then suddenly, the water that was pouring into his lungs reversed direction. Troy snapped his mouth shut and the force of the water rescinded.

                He rolled over, realizing that he had hit the floor violently when the water tornado had stopped tossing him around. Troy gasped, retching and coughing. Water dripped off his clothes.

                Glancing up with bloodshot eyes, he realized why the water had stopped. Dahlia and Sapphire were fighting with Alyssa and a man that looked very similar to her; they had the same auburn hair.

                What had used to be the water tornado had become a tidal wave which now surged between the four Magicians of Water.

                Troy lurched to his feet, trying to get up to help, but he collapsed immediately. His legs were too weak to support him.

                Glancing around, Troy took in the situation. Cedric, Hunter and Tamarak were out cold along with all the mortals who had been in the pub.

                Fortunately, Kayla and Luna were still conscious. As he met Luna’s eyes, she placed both fingers in her mouth and indicated to him. Then she drew her staff, turning away.

                Troy blinked, still dazed and confused. What had she meant? Suddenly, it dawned on him.

                Idiot! His mind shouted. Call Venus!

                Troy tried to blow out his whistle, but he hadn’t managed to get back his breath properly. He coughed again, trying to stop the pain that was in his lungs.

                At the same time, both fortunately and unfortunately, Alyssa let out a shout of triumph and Sapphire collapsed.

                It was fortunate because neither enemy magician had realized that Troy was still conscious, but it was unfortunate because Dahlia had to fight two Magicians of Water.

                Troy hastily tried again to whistle. This time it worked, but it was softer than Troy had hoped that it might be. He inhaled shakily as Alyssa’s eyes fixed on his face.

“Well done, my dear,” the auburn-haired man said to Alyssa.

                “Thank you, Papa,” she said, smiling.

                “He’s your father?” Dahlia asked, before she could stop herself.

                Alyssa laughed. “Of course, Dahlia McLean,” she said, pointedly.

                “His name is Alistair,” Luna murmured. “He’s a scout for Varmer. Alyssa and Alyce have another brother, Amos, who vanished.”

                Alyssa’s smiled changed into a snarl and she glared at Luna. In return, Luna stared obstinately back with a sweet smile on her face.

                “Peace, my dear,” Alistair said, patting Alyssa’s shoulder. “If she wants to talk, let her. Then time, our greatest friend, will take care of these other magicians.”