Chapter 10

Here's the next part! I really hope you like it and I'm really sorry if you find it too short. Please vote and comment as usual and please forgive me if I haven't dedicated on to you like I promised. Like I said, I can't do it for everyone yet, but I will dedicate one to you. :) Picture of Benjamin on the side. :)

Chapter 10

                The guard appeared, deeply windswept and very angry. Tia broke free and slashed wildly with her swords. One embedded itself in the ground; the other one buried itself hilt deep in the newly-fixed wall with no intention of coming out.

                “They’ve escaped,” Ellie said. “They are gone.”

                “Again,” said Benjamin flatly, for emphasis.

                He was disappointed, but happy at the same time. He was relieved that they did not have to fight the others, especially if Kayla might be harmed in the process.

                But of course, he was still loyal to Varmer and was upset that they hadn’t captured the rebel magicians, especially because they might be punished.

                “You aren’t that disappointed, Benjamin,” Zara said, her dark eyes flashing wildly around. “You wanted to see Kayla, didn’t you?”

                Benjamin scowled darkly. Six years ago, he and Kayla had been married. They had dated for a century and had gotten married the day before she had left. But then, she had escaped with Troy and Helen for some reason which he still wasn’t that sure of.

                And he missed her badly. He hadn’t had a single companion before she had met him when he was a hundred years older than she was.

                “It makes no difference,” Leo stated. “They’ve escaped. Our lord will not be happy with us. He may even torture us or try to kill us.”

                “He needs us,” Ellie said softly.

                “Are you so sure, Ellie?” Tia asked. “If Varmer really is as powerful as he claims, surely he would have no need for us. We’re just a protection guide which he uses.”

                “Since when did you become so wise, Tia?” Benjamin teased, trying to keep his tone light.

                Tia spun on him, a knife leaping to her hand. He stopped her blow with his telekinetic power, trembling, with the blade an inch from his neck.

                “I am no one’s pawn,” Tia hissed. “No one uses me!”

                She sheathed her knife, glaring at Benjamin as she did so. Her eyes were tense and alert, like a hunter ready to catch her prey.

                “The longer the rebels elude us, the more likely they will be trained the next time we meet,” Leo said, hastily changing the subject.

                “That is good,” Ellie said.

                “I beg your pardon?” Zara said, staring at Ellie.

                “Yes,” Ellie said. “My lord wants them to be trained so that he does not have to have the trouble of training them himself. He thinks that they will not listen to us so he wishes that they be trained before they join the guard.”

                “You seem very confident that they will join the guard,” Tia said, suspiciously.

                Ellie glared at Tia but she did not retaliate for she did not want any more arguments.