Chapter 29

Here is the next chapter! I apologize for it being so short, but I needed it to be this length, or a similar one anyway. :( I hope that you like it and I'll try to update the next chapter as soon as possible because I don't want to keep you all in suspense. I have a pretty good feeling that you might hate me if I do! :P Thanks to all my loyal readers for helping me get the first book in this series, The Nation Charmer into the second round for the fantasy watty awards. ;) It means a lot! :D Please comment and stuff as usual so I can find out who my loyal readers are and dedicate the chapters to you. :) Picture of Hunter on the side. :)

Chapter 29

                Troy sat up. He was lying on his back in the mud. Dahlia knelt next to him, the vial in her right hand. She had pressed her other hand to his forehead, almost as if she was checking his temperature.

                “Troy!” she gasped, when he opened his blue eyes.

               She leapt backwards, almost colliding with Cedric as she jumped out of the way. The others were gathered around him.

                “Steady,” Cedric said, holding onto her elbow. “I mean, I know that you’re enthusiastic-”

                “Get real,” Dahlia muttered, pulling her arm out of his grip. “Is the vial safe to drink, Troy?”

                Troy nodded, realizing how weak he felt. His skin was slightly clammy for he had broken out into a cold sweat. He tried to sit up and he clutched his forehead as black spots danced before his eyes.

                “Put your head between your knees,” Kayla told him. “That should make you feel better.”

              Troy obeyed, grimacing when he felt his back hurt. His breath caught in his throat and Dahlia reached out with one hand to help him, before pulling her hand back.

                “How are you feeling?” Sapphire asked. “Do you need some help?”

              “Not fair,” Hunter said, pouting. “You can heal someone and you offer to heal him. I would have thought that you could heal Cedric or me.”

                Sapphire blushed. “I offered to heal Troy because I figured that he would need to feel well in order to shadow-travel us away from here. If… Well…” her voice petered off.

             Tamarak put a hand on her shoulder, a little possessively, almost as if he was afraid of Hunter getting too close to Sapphire. Unfortunately, Troy didn’t notice any of that because he was still trying to get rid of the sick feeling that rested in his stomach.

                “So can you drink the vial?” Cedric asked.

                Troy nodded again. “Yeah,” he croaked.

                “Are you feeling well enough to stand?” Dahlia asked gently.

          Troy managed another shaky nod, and then Dahlia and Kayla lifted him to his feet. He stumbled almost immediately and Sapphire came to his aid as well. Most of the other boys looked a little tentative to want to help Troy.

                “So we’d better-” Luna began.

                “We know, we know,” said Tamarak, rolling his eyes.

                “Do what?” Hunter demanded. “And know what?”

              “Oh, sorry,” Dahlia said. “Um… we’d better, um… touch Troy in some way so we can also use the shadows as a door when he does.”