Chapter 37

Sorry for the late update of this chapter! I was kind of busy, anyway, I hope you like this chapter. :) I'll still be dedicating chapters to my loyal readers, so please comment to identify yourselves to me. ;) Oh, and there's a picture of Dahlia and Tamarak on the side. :)

Chapter 37

                “Avalon?” Troy asked.

                “The island where King Arthur was supposedly buried,” Arulan clarified.

                Troy still had no idea what Arulan was talking about. He had hated history while he was at school. Hopefully the history classes here were not going to be so boring.

                “Um… sorry, Arulan, but I have no idea what you’re talking about,” Troy confessed.

                Arulan raised an eyebrow. “Your education has been lacking quite severly. You will have to work hard to catch up with the others your age and get the proper magical studies that you require. Still, our teachers will be happy to help you.”

              Troy clenched his fists. It was the second time that Arulan had mentioned his bad education on magic. Well, it wasn’t like he had chosen to have a late start in the world of magic.

                So he remained silent as he and Arulan tromped across the grounds. Arulan didn’t seem to mind the silence. Finally, Troy decided to speak.

                “Why didn’t you let us keep our memories?” Troy asked.

                Arulan frowned at him. “Varmer must not know that there are rebels besides his fellow immortals. If he did, then he would destroy us before we have gathered enough rebels to stand against his mighty fighters.”

                “Oh,” Troy said, feeling stupid once more. “Shouldn’t you have enough rebels to fight him now, especially since you’ve been alive almost as long as Varmer is?”

                Arulan shook his head. “No, actually. Many of the magicians in this world do not even know that they are magicians and that there is actually magic in the world. Besides, all the magicians age and die; not all of us are immortals.”

                “But didn’t the other immortals want to fight Varmer too?” Troy asked. “Surely they had as many children as Varmer did and there would be three times that amount! Why didn’t they keep everyone at their palace like what Varmer did?”

                Arulan shook his head again. “You’ve met the immortals, Troy. They are a proud, arrogant lot. Even Edith is spoilt. They had a prejudice against you, didn’t they?”

                Troy nodded, recalling the even which had happened just over a week ago. None of the immortals had liked him. Rosalie had even wanted to kill him. Edith had stuck up for him and, with Olive’s help, they hadn’t killed him.

                “They wanted to kill me,” he recalled.

                “They are proud,” Arulan continued. “They think that they can do everything themselves.”

                “Then why didn’t they do anything?” Troy demanded.

                Arulan sighed. “Actually, although Varmer controls the world, he doesn’t interfere much with the human world. The only reason that the humans get affected by the magic problems, like the Great Fire of London, is because the rebels fight back against Varmer. If we actually chose to leave him alone, he would leave the humans to themselves. They only are affected because we fight back and the humans get in the way.”