Chapter 41

Okay, here is the next chapter and I am begging you guys to please vote for my story in the watty awards! Please! It's a new kind of voting, go to community and watty awards and my story (The Nation Charmer) is in fantasy on the rise. Please click the vote button for that! I really need your help! Please! :) I will forever be in your debt. :) Anyway, apart from that, here is the next chapter and I hope you guys like it. ;) 

Chapter 41

               She led them away from the barracks and down the staircase. They passed many classrooms, now silent and empty, and the library.

               Finally, they entered the dining hall. Trainees sat at four long tables, laughing and talking. They looked like normal groups of teenagers, except some were dressed in armour and all of them carried weapons.

                “Where do we sit?” Troy asked.

               Marina pointed at the tables. “The ones on the far left are for the Magicians of Fire. Then the next table is for the Magicians of Earth, then Air and finally Water.”

               “So I have to sit all the way over there,” Troy summarized.

               Marina nodded. Reluctantly, Troy made his way towards the Magicians of Fire table. All the trainees at the table stared at him. They weren’t cheering now; they were whispering behind their hands in hushed voices about him. He had good enough hearing to catch on to what they were saying.

               He glanced at the other tables. Kayla, Cedric and Hunter sat at the Earth table; Luna, Tamarak and Romulus were eating at the Air table, leaving Dahlia, Sapphire and Marina at the Water table.

               As Troy watched, Tristan and Yasmine joined the Earth table; Donovan and Jared joined the Air table. A long oval table in front held all the teachers: Arulan, Rachel, Amos and a few other male and female teachers. Troy presumed that one of the women was Kathryn, the magician who could create illusions.

               The dinner was excellent. There was nothing wrong with fried chicken, roast beef, green peas and new potatoes. Jugs of lemonade and Coke sat on the tables. For dessert, there were apple pies the size of two dinner plates and later, crackers and cheese.

               If only Troy had someone to talk to! All the magicians at his table were looking at him like he was some sort of freak. Finally, one of the boys spoke to him.

               “Is it true that you’re a shadow morpher as well as being a Magician of Fire?” he asked.

               Troy nodded uncomfortably. “Why are you asking? I mean, it’s nothing special, right?”

               The boy looked stunned. “Actually, it is. All the Magicians of Fire here are coincidental magicians seeing as Arulan didn’t have kids. You’re the first Magician of Fire here who has a second gift, like Arulan.”             

               “Oh,” Troy said. “I didn’t know.”

               The boy nodded. “It must be cool,” he said, wistfully. “Anyway, what’s your name?”

               “I’m Troy,” he said. “And you are?”

               “I’m Tobias,” he said, smiling.

               Tobias looked younger than Troy, around twelve years old. The boys around him were all listening intently to their conversation.  Troy helped himself to another drumstick, listening to Tobias talk. The boys around him all looked impressed too.